NIH Post-Bacc (IRTA) program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FutureSurgical

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am seriously considering now doing medically-related research before medical school through this program. I know this board is more-reserved for SMPs and Post-baccs that get one's prereqs done in 1-2 years. However, seeing as this is technically a post-bacc program through the gov't, I would love any more information than what the website provides (https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta). Has anyone done it? How rigorous is the program? What factors, such as GPA, previous research, ECs, etc. are taken into consideration for working here for 1-2 years?

  • Yes, I have previous research experience. Did synthetic organic chemistry for a few months before switching to a biochemistry-related topic
  • GPA is decent. No MCAT score
  • ECs are pretty good. Several leadership roles, good volunteer hours (>100) (if it's relevant at all).