NIH Summer Internship in Biomedical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nzik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how competitive this program is? I'm planning to apply next summer and I wonder if it would be a great program for minorities.

Members don't see this ad.

NIH biomedical programs are great for anyone who anticipates a career in research or medicine. There are specific deadlines for these so make sure that you meet or exceed these deadlines (very important). There are also specific programs that are earmarked for minority participants and thus if you are an underrepresented minority person in medicine/research you have a couple of options.

There are also specific programs that are earmarked for minority participants and thus if you are an underrepresented minority person in medicine/research you have a couple of options.

I wish I had known about these, I would have taken advantage of them in the past.

Note: the following is only applicable if you are talking about the summer program between MS1 and MS2. I'm not sure if the UGrad program works the same way.

I echo the sentiment of njbmd that you should MAKE SURE to meet the deadline for NIH applications. I would strongly suggest actually getting the app in wayyyyyyyyy ahead of time, as many spots will still be open for you to be accepted. Make sure to look for and contact interested faculty early so that they can go to the table for you, as the style of applying is more like applying for PhD programs rather than med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to apply early next year. I was already going to do SMDEP this summer so I wanted to consider NIH for next summer.

BTW, do you guys know how it's like in this programs. I'm interested in your experiences and insights.

Thanks!

I unfortunately dont know anything about the program since I didnt do it myself, but from what it sounds like, you have a poster presentation to do, and its likely basic science (non-clinical) research. They also seem to pay quite well! I dont remember anything about the housing situation, only because I live about 45 minutes from Bethesda right now, so I never bothered to look into it.

I think she is talking about the one for undergrads.
Yes it is very competitive, as I applied for it and the IRTA (the one year program) one after school but did not get in. I don't remember if I applied in March or February. But as most of the PIs who I personally contacted told me, it is very competitive and although I was a good enough candidate, they were full for the moment. I think your best bet is applying early, and if you are applying for this summer, I think you are almost late.:scared: But I'm not so sure.

I think they give you a housing discount in one dorm of a school that is close to them. I think American University.
Again all this information is on their website. Your best bet would be checking it out yourself.
I know you need about 2 or 3 letters of recommendation etc etc. Goodluck:luck:

I think HE is talking about the one for undergrads.
Yes it is very competitive, as I applied for it and the IRTA (the one year program) one after school but did not get in. I don't remember if I applied in March or February. But as most of the PIs who I personally contacted told me, it is very competitive and although I was a good enough candidate, they were full for the moment. I think your best bet is applying early, and if you are applying for this summer, I think you are almost late.:scared: But I'm not so sure.

I think they give you a housing discount in one dorm of a school that is close to them. I think American University.
Again all this information is on their website. Your best bet would be checking it out yourself.
I know you need about 2 or 3 letters of recommendation etc etc. Goodluck:luck:

Hey thanks for the info all of you guys.

I was planning to apply for next summer's program, but i'm not so sure now. since it's most likely basic science, do you think it would be worth it, or would pursuing clinical/biomedical-oriented research would be better (let's say for example at a local hospital or something?)

I'd appreciate your advice.