NIH Summer Internship Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone who knows about the NIH SIP: are all the candidates already picked? I'm asking because I emailed a number of them expressing interest in their research but almost all said they already have a summer candidate or they don't need one. Is it worth it to even email any more of them?

Members don't see this ad.

For anyone who knows about the NIH SIP: are all the candidates already picked? I'm asking because I emailed a number of them expressing interest in their research but almost all said they already have a summer candidate or they don't need one. Is it worth it to even email any more of them?

You submitted an online application right? I would still keep contacting labs or else contact the main SIP office. I heard about a placement 2 weeks after submitting the app but I'm in the history of medicine unit so things weren't so complicated.

Also, my GPA was pretty bad when applying...though I do have quite a bit of research experience for a freshman (summer research program and researching in a school lab since second semester). Do they care more about research experience or GPA? (GPA is 3.4 btw for first semester of college)

Also, my GPA was pretty bad when applying...though I do have quite a bit of research experience for a freshman (summer research program and researching in a school lab since second semester). Do they care more about research experience or GPA? (GPA is 3.4 btw for first semester of college)

I would guess they care more about GPA but it could be lab dependent. Since it's a program to gain more research experience and you can apply as a high school senior I doubt research experience is necessary, although depending on the lab this could be helpful. Your letters of recommendation are undoubtedly also very important.