• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

NIH Summer Internship Program

housem

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    For anyone who knows about the NIH SIP: are all the candidates already picked? I'm asking because I emailed a number of them expressing interest in their research but almost all said they already have a summer candidate or they don't need one. Is it worth it to even email any more of them?

OncDoc19

MS4
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Feb 6, 2007
    1. Medical Student
      For anyone who knows about the NIH SIP: are all the candidates already picked? I'm asking because I emailed a number of them expressing interest in their research but almost all said they already have a summer candidate or they don't need one. Is it worth it to even email any more of them?

You submitted an online application right? I would still keep contacting labs or else contact the main SIP office. I heard about a placement 2 weeks after submitting the app but I'm in the history of medicine unit so things weren't so complicated.

housem

10+ Year Member
      Jan 21, 2008
      1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
        Also, my GPA was pretty bad when applying...though I do have quite a bit of research experience for a freshman (summer research program and researching in a school lab since second semester). Do they care more about research experience or GPA? (GPA is 3.4 btw for first semester of college)

OncDoc19

MS4
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Feb 6, 2007
        1. Medical Student
          Also, my GPA was pretty bad when applying...though I do have quite a bit of research experience for a freshman (summer research program and researching in a school lab since second semester). Do they care more about research experience or GPA? (GPA is 3.4 btw for first semester of college)

I would guess they care more about GPA but it could be lab dependent. Since it's a program to gain more research experience and you can apply as a high school senior I doubt research experience is necessary, although depending on the lab this could be helpful. Your letters of recommendation are undoubtedly also very important.

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.