NIH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uwish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Holidays all,
So, I had a good virtual interview for pathology at NIH. But I just can’t get a read on the vibe. Anyone have real life experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Happy Holidays all,
So, I had a good virtual interview for pathology at NIH. But I just can’t get a read on the vibe. Anyone have real life experience?
Hi,

So I was a summer intern at the NIH as an undergraduate student. I'm not sure what position you're applying for, but my experience as an undergrad might be different if you're a graduate or post-graduate student.

Research at NIH was a different experience than it was at my undergraduate school. There are definitely more opportunities there to attend conferences and talks, which I think, made my experience feel more exciting/energetic. My PI encouraged me to attend those talks, as well, as a way for me to learn more about my project and associated background knowledge. I'd say the research environment might differ from lab to lab. In my lab, my PI was laid back and available for questions at any time. In the lab next to mine, the PI was a little more strict and had high expectations of his team.

Overall, I'd say the NIH is very exciting because of all the things that are happening. And, in the lab, your experience will be different among different PI's. I did have the chance to talk to other NIH interns over the summer, during our journal club. Both the interns and the leaders of the journal club felt that it was extremely difficult to meet other people, since the NIH is a very large and spread out place. Still, I was able to meet members from the lab next to mine and make good friends with the grad students in my lab.

Thanks for the input. I’m sorry to hear that making friends is difficult. I’m applying for a pathology medical residency. Anyone else have experience?

Thanks for the input. I’m sorry to hear that making friends is difficult. I’m applying for a pathology medical residency. Anyone else have experience?
Maybe try the pathology specialty sub-forum. This sub-forum has been mainly dominated by pre-meds/applicants and other general physician-scientist related things.