NIU DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get the interview invite for Nov 15??

Members don't see this ad.

I got mine on in the mail on 10/28 as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice hopefully we all do well!

How did everyone's interview go? I'm having to go on the 21st for the make-up session

It went well staff was awesome!

Did anyone get the interview invite for Nov 15??
I'm a current NIU student and I called to ask when they were going to send out the letters and they said thursday (yesterday)! So we should be finding out soon! They accept 36!

EDIT: I got my acceptance letter in the mail just a few moments ago. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved my acceptance in the mail today! Anyone else?

Nothing yet! Really hoping something comes tomorrow! And trying not to read too much into when people are receiving them... My brain is going crazy thinking they send acceptances first then wait list then rejections... Hopefully that's not the case! I'll be so bummed if nothing comes tomorrow because there's no mail on Monday for MLK. Can't imagine waiting til Tuesday knowing some people have gotten theirs lol!

Are any of you guys hoping/planning on going to NIU? To be honest I applied to 8 schools in a frenzy. I had it in my mind for some reason that no one would accept me. Now I have an interview with rosalind franklin tomorrow that I don't even want to go to!

I called them today and they said they sent out letters Wednesday, Thursday, and this morning! The letter is being sent to my home address so I have no clue if I got one or not! Hopefully I'll hear something soon!

I might! I have two more schools to hear from. Then I'll be making my decision with in a week.
Are you committing to NIU?

With that are any female students possibly looking for roommates? !

I might! I have two more schools to hear from. Then I'll be making my decision with in a week.
Are you committing to NIU?

With that are any female students possibly looking for roommates? !
I'm waiting on two schools too! I'm not committing yet. I'll definitely be that person that decides January 30th! If I go to NIU I would want a roommate!

I did. Anyone know how many they wait list? That's the boat I'm in right now :)

@mrleroyfashion123 I am going to PM you! Congrats!

Congrats to everyone else! From what I know NIU goes through their waitlist fast.

I was accepted to Governors State and NIU. I then declined Governors, due to my NIU acceptance. I am an NIU Alumni and from IL!

Last year they went through 14 spots on the waitlist so it should be okay!!

I was accepted to Concordia in Mequon, Midwestern, and NIU. I put a deposit down for Concordia in December (it was my first and only acceptance at the time) but now I'm trying to choose between them and NIU. I'm also waiting to hear from 2 other schools. I currently go to NIU!

I'm from Michigan but doing my undergrad in Alabama, still waiting on a couple other schools

I'm familiar with the Dekalb area, my dad is from there but I don't know much about the school itself and their DPT program. I'm at the point right now where I'm trying to make my choice of what school to attend this fall so any insight or pros and cons about NIU and their program would be great, thanks!

I am from Chicago suburb about 40 mins from dekalb. Which is great because I cannot picture myself living in dekalb!!

I'm a current student at NIU finishing up at the end of this semester. I really love NIU, and the DeKalb, and I can say I got a quality education. I've talked to a lot of people that have gone thru the program here, and they seem to really enjoy it! I will probably end up declining my acceptance to NIU because I was accepted at my number 1 choice already, so any of you who are wait-listed, there will definitely be spots on the waitlist being used!

If you don't mind me asking, what is your #1 choice and why are you choosing them over NIU? As far as the area, I know I'd enjoy it, I've spent a decent amount of time there, just wish I was more familiar with the program and school itself and how students feel about the education their getting.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your #1 choice and why are you choosing them over NIU? As far as the area, I know I'd enjoy it, I've spent a decent amount of time there, just wish I was more familiar with the program and school itself and how students feel about the education their getting.
I got accepted to the Mayo DPT program, which was one of my top choices when I applied to schools. I chose them because I wanted a PT program that was associated with a major hospital because that would be my ideal place to work after graduation. They also are somewhat research based, which I also have an interest in. As far as I know, NIU doesn't participate in much research in their DPT program.
I have had PTs that have graduated from the NIU program, and they are excellent. And you can't beat the cost of tuition, so NIU is definitely a good choice in that regard.

NIU's program isn't focused on research. http://catalog.niu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=23&poid=4138&returnto=741

There are graduate assistant opportunities at NIU, which is definitely good. At smaller schools there's not an opportunity to be a GA. NIU is less expensive and can be even cheaper if you decide to be one.

As far as I can tell there aren't that many professors as compared to students (36 total). So if you're the kind of person that would want a little more support NIU might not be the best fit. Yet again, I don't know anyone who is in the program so maybe I'm not the best person to make that statement! It's just an observation based off of information I got from their website.

I'm in my last semester at NIU and so far my experience has been good! I just don't know if I want to be in this location for another 3 years.

When is the deadline to inform niu about accepting the acceptance/waitlist seat?

Thanks. I'll give them a call on Friday if I don't receive my letter by then

I'm familiar with the Dekalb area, my dad is from there but I don't know much about the school itself and their DPT program. I'm at the point right now where I'm trying to make my choice of what school to attend this fall so any insight or pros and cons about NIU and their program would be great, thanks!

Their program is evolving and changing since it is fairly new. They recently received the okay to teach out of the building that we had our interview at. Campus is about 10 mins from that building - driving distance. DeKalb can be kind of boring, but luckily the program will keep you studying . The professors are great, they are hiring an additional staff member is what I have heard through the grapevine. Cons are that the program is still developing , clinicals are shorter than most universities, no research opportunities. Pros - cost, living area is SO cheap rent won't be bad, you'll having parking for class, professors who care. It is a good program for the price you get what you pay for. I am an alum.

Has anyone else heard?

There's no deposit, right? I'm thinking about accepting and then when I hear from the 2 other schools I can always say I'm not going

Reactions: 1 users
I think I might be the only person that didn't get his letter. Ha!!!

Reactions: 1 users
There's no deposit, right? I'm thinking about accepting and then when I hear from the 2 other schools I can always say I'm not going

Nope, they told me it was fine to do that at my interview

What is NIU's PT clinic like? I never got a chance to check it when I was there

What is NIU's PT clinic like? I never got a chance to check it when I was there

Its actually reqlly nice with open space! Has lots of equipment you can use. Basically your typical ortho clinic

Hey all :) For those of you currently in NIU's program, would you mind talking about your likes/dislikes of it? Also- what were your stats to get into NIU?

What the hell??? You playing right? You have 5 months to kick whatever narcotics you may or may not be on

Last edited: