1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

NJ neuroscience institute at JFK ?

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by Aspalgarry, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Aspalgarry

Aspalgarry Junior Member

Have anyone interviewed at NJ neuroscience at JFK? How is the program?

It seems to me like a very benign program with a lot of didactic education (conferences, morning reports, journal club)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. islander

islander Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Benign doesn't begin to describe it. Extremely cush, very easy schedule, they pay for multiple conferences a year, etc. Downside is they're pretty new and not well-known, which could hurt you for fellowships or academic jobs later on. Their chief resident said that he didn't feel at any disadvantage interviewing for jobs coming from a relatively unknown program - neuro jobs (especially beyond the East Coast) are pretty plentiful.

4. Ross_neuro

Ross_neuro Member
    7+ Year Member

I got accepted there as my second choice. If you want a relaxed atmosphere with time to read, etc and not be exhausted by the end of your third year, check it out. I am very excited about this place and I can't wait to start. As far as fellowships go, it's getting more well-known. Some UMDNJ residents transferred toi this program. And all the faculty are from good places. The director is from Mt Sinai, so the hook up is always there. Remember it is how good you are and how much you put into it. You will find a good job. Oh yes and if anyone matched there, let me know.

5. Aspalgarry

Aspalgarry Junior Member

I was suposed to start my PGY-2 (neurology) at University of South Florida in Tampa, where I has been doing my internship and I was very happy with it. USF is not a well known program, but was on a very atractive location, at least for me. However my wife did not match in internal medicine program here and is going to NY for residency.

One week ago I interviewed at JFK since I was looking for a position on NY and NJ area. My impression of the program was really good. They had all the positions filled but they wanted an extra resident for next july. I agree that the program is not very well known , but what really put you on a good fellowship position is your own performance , along with some research and good letters of recomendations. My impression was that they have a very strong faculty with well known people on different fields. They said that historically their residents have been very succesfull in obtaining fellowships positions ,but I every program will tell you the same.

Now they have Dr Chokroverty who is an authority on sleep medicine and electrophysiology.

Finally ,I have decided to continue my training at JFK and I hope it works out well.

Thanks for your input