NJ, Temple, and VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spelmangyrl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am currently applying to all of these schools, and due to the limited Search feature, it is difficult for me to find specific threads where people comment on their experiences at these schools, but if you happen to attend either NJ, Temple or VCU, I would appreciate hearing anything you have to say to a prospective student...good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

i just started dental school at vcu.

i am actually surprised by it so far. i expected it to be a dull 4 years, but so far its going great.

so far i have only taken two courses (gross anatomy, and oral anatomy)

gross anatomy
- the best professors i have seen in a long while, they actually want everybdoy to learn the material, they aren't there to get you and have a curve or anything. and they know its your first class of dental school so they try to make you fit in. they make enjoyable and make the dry material of anatomy interesting.

dental anatomy
- the ****tiest class ever ( i hope i don't get caught by the professor), but we have a new professor for that class and she doesn't seem to know her stuff at all, it drives me crazy--i feel that if we were to test her the matieral she would not get a single question right. but anyways

now to some other aspects.

vcu is located in richmond, va, a city in the south that still has a lot of history and pride. it is moving forward but you will see some interesting stuff here. it is not your typical american city i would say. but here is what i found out over the last year i been here, everything you wnat is avaliable here you just have to look hard for it.

social aspect, they seem to pick the right students, because so far we all seem to click, now off course its only the first 1.5 months, but everything seems to be going fine.

outlook - the school is planing to expand its building size in the next 4-5 years, so you will probably see part of the new building by the time you get here.

if you have any other specific questions let me know. i have never visited nj, but i visited temple if you want me to make comparisons in any aspects let me know.

Thank you for your response. I am actually from Richmond, so I know the area pretty well. The decision I am going to have to make if I get accepted is whether or not I want to come back to my hometown. If you could comment on Temple vs VCU, I would appreciate it. By the way, how does VCU prepare students in terms of taking the Boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there:

I'm from NJ. I'll make this quick. I'm a second year now. There's an average of about 80 people in a class. People become pretty close to one another. Great new clinic areas. Professors, good, bad, and arrogant. GREAT in terms of clinical experience; all the various specialties have post-grad programs here so if you're interested you can see. Small in terms of minority numbers (your name is **Spelman**gyrl, I thought You'd wanna know) since I am one please send me a private message and I'll be glad to ask specific questions. Best of luck to you. When you go on interviews, pull people aside and ask questions that YOU want to know. Don't ask the tour guides that are students, ask the students who are walking around.

Hi,

I'll be starting at VCU in a couple of months. I'm having a difficult time finding people or contacts to ask about housing. The website is not very helpful either. I'm basically looking for some nice housing on-campus or relatively close by so I wouldn't have to drive, and not necessarilly have to room (though if I don't have a choice then oh well). I'm thinking of coming down in a couple weeks to check things out. Any ideas? Please help. THANKS.

rocknightmare said:
i just started dental school at vcu.

i am actually surprised by it so far. i expected it to be a dull 4 years, but so far its going great.

so far i have only taken two courses (gross anatomy, and oral anatomy)

gross anatomy
- the best professors i have seen in a long while, they actually want everybdoy to learn the material, they aren't there to get you and have a curve or anything. and they know its your first class of dental school so they try to make you fit in. they make enjoyable and make the dry material of anatomy interesting.

dental anatomy
- the ****tiest class ever ( i hope i don't get caught by the professor), but we have a new professor for that class and she doesn't seem to know her stuff at all, it drives me crazy--i feel that if we were to test her the matieral she would not get a single question right. but anyways

now to some other aspects.

vcu is located in richmond, va, a city in the south that still has a lot of history and pride. it is moving forward but you will see some interesting stuff here. it is not your typical american city i would say. but here is what i found out over the last year i been here, everything you wnat is avaliable here you just have to look hard for it.

social aspect, they seem to pick the right students, because so far we all seem to click, now off course its only the first 1.5 months, but everything seems to be going fine.

outlook - the school is planing to expand its building size in the next 4-5 years, so you will probably see part of the new building by the time you get here.

if you have any other specific questions let me know. i have never visited nj, but i visited temple if you want me to make comparisons in any aspects let me know.