NJMS vs Cooper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tatakai

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Grateful to have gotten acceptances to both schools. IS for both so tuition should be the same. Unsure of future specialty, but want to keep the door open for competitive specialties (ortho, optho, etc.)

NJMS

Pros:
- departments and residency programs in every specialty
- more research (#1 NIH funded in NJ)
- more interdisciplinary, have distinction programs in entrepreneurship, global health, etc. that I am interested in
- more impressive match list, though this may be because of a larger class size
- close to Hoboken and nyc for social life

Cons:
- graded preclinical (H/HP/P/F) and quintile ranking reported in MSPE, may make class more competitive and have more gunners
- car needed for clerkships, went to college in north jersey and disliked the heavy traffic in the area
- concerns about living in newark and being in a food desert
- large class size, BS/MD and Postbac students from Rutgers in class may make it more cliquey

Cooper

Pros:
- true P/F preclinical
- can live in a major city (5 min train from Center City, Philadelphia)
- all clerkships done at Cooper Hospital (no car needed)
- know for a fact class culture is collaborative
- attendance not required for lectures (not sure about policy for NJMS)
- smaller class size (get to know classmates better)
- faculty and students seemed more enthusiastic about the school on interview day
- early patient interaction in student run clinic

Cons:
- not all departments, though the faculty is growing
- less research, prestige (not sure how much this matters, but since STEP 1 is P/F this may be more important)
- safety concern about being in camden

Similarities: strong focus on urban underserved populations, addressing socioeconomic disparities, similar PBL curriculum, both have AOA

Summary: Overall, I am leaning towards Cooper since it is true P/F and I can live in a major city, but am wondering if greater reputation and research could make NJMS a better option.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that people love Cooper. Not to say the NJMS is hated, but just that people really like Cooper. Also even though it might have less research prestige, its near philly which has no shortage of projects for med students to get on. Also true pass fail in preclinical is nice so I would personally choose Cooper

Cooper gives you less to worry about with the P/F, easy access to clerkships, and non-mandatory attendance. NJMS is likely to not open more doors for you than Cooper.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Overall, I am leaning towards cooper but my only concern is since they don’t have an optho department, it would be difficult to match if I wanted to.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.