akalin24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Anyone recall picking ethanol for the byproduct of glycolysis in the anomeric sugar passage?? I believe the NMR data given in the passage had three sets of peaks which correlates to ethanol.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2001
Toronto, ON, CANADA
Visit site
Status
akalin24 said:
Anyone recall picking ethanol for the byproduct of glycolysis in the anomeric sugar passage?? I believe the NMR data given in the passage had three sets of peaks which correlates to ethanol.
Yup .. that's what I put too. It was a quartet, triplet an a singlet with no characteristic carbonyl stretch. Hope that's right :)

About the Ads

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It was ethanol. A triplet shifted to 4, a quartet at 1.5, and broad band at 2 is ethanol. Those numbers aren't exact, but close. :)

gomizzou

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Visit site
Status
We never got to NMR in my Organic class so I still don't understand it even after reading the short Kaplan explanation. I had 3! questions dealing with it, so I pretty much wasted time by trying to memorize those IR numbers.

freaker

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
Sweet.

Anyone remember the final recipient of electrons in the electron trasnport chain?

I think I chose water, but I can't remember if O2 was an answer choice. It would be pretty lame if both H20 and O2 were answer choices.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It is O2. O2 receives the electrons to form water.

shock827

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
Status
This question threw me off because it said that ethanol was a product of glycolysis. I thought it was a product of fermentation..... sigh.. But I put it anyways cuz the other answers were whack.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Yeah the other hint was that N2 was bubbled through or something to maintain anaerobic conditions.

akalin24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
The answer was O2. After O2 accepts the electrons water is formed. That was kind of tricky because most people probably glazed over the question without really reading it and chose H2O. Because afterall water is the end product.

blz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2002
LA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
shock827 said:
This question threw me off because it said that ethanol was a product of glycolysis. I thought it was a product of fermentation..... sigh.. But I put it anyways cuz the other answers were whack.

I believe fermentation is included in glycolysis if need be.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
blz said:
I believe fermentation is included in glycolysis if need be.
I wish I could find someone who had the same form as me (EH). I had similar questions to these, but not exactly. For example, I had one asking what was the source of the oxygen in the anaerobic respiration intermediates (glucose) and I had an NMR where the answer was t-butyl iodide (only one type of hydrogen.

About the Ads