NMR data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akalin24

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone recall picking ethanol for the byproduct of glycolysis in the anomeric sugar passage?? I believe the NMR data given in the passage had three sets of peaks which correlates to ethanol.

Members don't see this ad.

akalin24 said:
Anyone recall picking ethanol for the byproduct of glycolysis in the anomeric sugar passage?? I believe the NMR data given in the passage had three sets of peaks which correlates to ethanol.
Yup .. that's what I put too. It was a quartet, triplet an a singlet with no characteristic carbonyl stretch. Hope that's right :)

I said ethanol too. Thank God:) I knew it wasn't three products, and i new ethanol would have 3 non-equivalent Hs.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was ethanol. A triplet shifted to 4, a quartet at 1.5, and broad band at 2 is ethanol. Those numbers aren't exact, but close. :)

We never got to NMR in my Organic class so I still don't understand it even after reading the short Kaplan explanation. I had 3! questions dealing with it, so I pretty much wasted time by trying to memorize those IR numbers.

Sweet.

Anyone remember the final recipient of electrons in the electron trasnport chain?

I think I chose water, but I can't remember if O2 was an answer choice. It would be pretty lame if both H20 and O2 were answer choices.

This question threw me off because it said that ethanol was a product of glycolysis. I thought it was a product of fermentation..... sigh.. But I put it anyways cuz the other answers were whack.

Yeah the other hint was that N2 was bubbled through or something to maintain anaerobic conditions.

The answer was O2. After O2 accepts the electrons water is formed. That was kind of tricky because most people probably glazed over the question without really reading it and chose H2O. Because afterall water is the end product.

shock827 said:
This question threw me off because it said that ethanol was a product of glycolysis. I thought it was a product of fermentation..... sigh.. But I put it anyways cuz the other answers were whack.

I believe fermentation is included in glycolysis if need be.

blz said:
I believe fermentation is included in glycolysis if need be.

I wish I could find someone who had the same form as me (EH). I had similar questions to these, but not exactly. For example, I had one asking what was the source of the oxygen in the anaerobic respiration intermediates (glucose) and I had an NMR where the answer was t-butyl iodide (only one type of hydrogen.