NMR problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

magnumbreaker

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can someone help me with this? I already spent 2 hours on this.
1.4 ppm, multiplet, 1H
2.5 ppm, singlet, 1H
3.7 ppm, doublet, 4H
7.3 ppm, singlet, 10H
Formula C15 H16 O
My teacher doesn't want me to have more information than necessary, therefore NMR is all I am allowed to have
THANKS.
 
Can someone help me with this? I already spent 2 hours on this.
1.4 ppm, multiplet, 1H
2.5 ppm, singlet, 1H
3.7 ppm, doublet, 4H
7.3 ppm, singlet, 10H
Formula C15 H16 O
My teacher doesn't want me to have more information than necessary, therefore NMR is all I am allowed to have
THANKS.

12,12-dimethyl-4,6,8,10-tetra-tridecyn-3-ol, something I through together that I'm still trying to check. The IUPAC may be a little off but your carbon count is friggin' high.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That wasn't nice of your teacher to withhold IR, but I'm thinking your molecule might be 1,1-diphenyl-2-propen-1-ol. Let me know what you think.
 
I think your hydrogen count is off, but thanks for the help. I think the formula should be 1,3-dimphenyl-2-propanol.
 
that site was my lifeline in orgo lab. hope we don't need nmr in rx school, cuz i don't remember anything.

from what i remember, my organic professor said nmr, mass spec, IR, etc. are used regularly by chemistry majors so they have to learn it really well.
 
hope we don't need nmr in rx school, cuz i don't remember anything.

Ditto, I haven't used any of that info since I graduated (Chem major), and I work in an analytical lab. Surely we would be able to pick it back up quickly if needed; hopefully, it's not.