NMT grad to change fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chipsandiscream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I hope I can find some insight in this forum..even though I'm not a doctor. I'm in the US, but I'm not a US citizen...I'm someone on a student visa. A year ago, I graduated with a bachelor's in Nuclear Medicine Technology. In a matter of years, the market for this profession went down and I haven't been able to find a job. I was not a bad student, I got a 4.0 GPA and graduated with honors and got a couple of awards and scholarships. During my unemployment, I did volunteer work at a cancer center (mostly patient care).
I loved the field, and I loved doing my clinicals, but I think it might be time for me to change fields. I hear there is a master's in Nuclear Medicine now, but I'm not sure about doing that.
I was thinking about radiation therapy, but it seems that the profession is going through the same problems as nuclear medicine. I was also thinking dosimetry, but I haven't heard much of that and I'm not sure if they will accept me without any Radiation therapy experience. I have also been thinking about doing some sort of degree in physics, but I don't know how many years it will take, and money is a problem for me.
I would like to hear suggestions or ideas on what I could do.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am typing this from work. I have been sitting here all day with zero patients. What a waste of an education. What a waste of taxpayer money. Nuclear medicine is a slimy dog that should be taken out back.

A bachelor's degree to do this? The schools certainly are clever. I didn't even know there were two year degrees until about one month after graduation. Pay differential for completing your bachelors? Nope. Maybe I will get a MASTERS in Nuclear Medicine. What a scream! Ha Ha Ha!

Being on call all the time is irritating as well. Aerosol lung scans. What magnificent images! Indeterminate. Indeterminate.

If you are still in school avoid Nuclear Medicine. Free advice!

Last edited:
Hi

I'm from Europe and don't know anything about US programs, in Netherlands
there is only one NM program, consisting of 5y:
1y radiology
9months internal med
3y NM

So what is the problem in the US? Are there differences in NM speciality? Are there people who do 2y and others who do 3, 4 or 5? And the one's with the longest/best program get the jobs?