No acceptances, looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

margs999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I applied to almost all the DO schools and lower tier MD schools and got one interview which I was waitlisted on. Other than that all rejections (sad face). I graduated undergrad with a 2.9 in chemistry (didn't have any real drive or direction at the time) and since have raised it to a 3.0 as of right now. I have average to above average ECs, no research, and decent letters of rec. A post bacc GPA of 3.95 (8 classes) and an MCAT of 514. Im bummed but not surprised about the no acceptance.

My question is moving forward. If I take 3 classes per quarter until next June (2019) Ill be up to a 3.2 GPA assuming all A's. If I continue to add volunteer and research do you think that will be enough or should I apply to a masters/MPH/SMP to get an official graduate GPA.

TLDR: Do I work over the next year on EC/Vol/Research and go from 3.0 to 3.2 or would it be better to apply to a masters/MPH/SMP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you called the schools to inquire about the reasoning behind their decisions? I had no acceptances after my first cycle and I called all the schools I had applied to; most told me they didn't give out the information or didn't have a specific reason, but a couple gave me really great specific advice for my application. I ended up on the phone for almost an hour with a super helpful admissions person from one school. So if you haven't yet, I definitely suggest calling as their advice would be better than anyone on here could give without seeing your complete application.

I am guessing it is a combination of lack of experiences and lower GPA, as that MCAT is awesome (nice job!). Personally I would continue with the classes and work on getting really good experiences in the medical field, you want to make sure with your next application that you have strong improvements. Although, if you really want a masters in PH or another field and it is something you are passionate about go for it, but still get those awesome experiences! After my failed first cycle, I got a masters (I didn't need the GPA boost, but wanted the class experience) and worked in healthcare for 2 years.

Reactions: 4 users
You graduated, that GPA is sort of stuck at the UGPA number. Anything you take after you graduated will be on it's own line. That 3.95 + 514 is not the issue... it's something else.

Make sure your LORs are better than decent (Excellent/strong).

Make sure your PS is strong (did you have more than a few people read it?)

I would continue to volunteer regardless of med school - it's just a good thing to do for life.

Finally, you don't mention shadowing/clinical. Do you have that?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I find it really odd that you didn't get more DO interviews/acceptances. Your cumulative was low, but certainly could have been lower... but I would think your recent grades/good MCAT score should have helped you some.

Maybe you should try for a SMP, especially one of the ones with linkage that guarantee acceptances if you maintain a certain GPA. Did you get at least a C, before or after retakes, in all the traditional pre-med courses?

An SMP would be the icing on the cake for you but be aware of the hefty price tag and the high risk high reward of it.

Hey guys. So I applied to almost all the DO schools and lower tier MD schools and got one interview which I was waitlisted on. Other than that all rejections (sad face). I graduated undergrad with a 2.9 in chemistry (didn't have any real drive or direction at the time) and since have raised it to a 3.0 as of right now. I have average to above average ECs, no research, and decent letters of rec. A post bacc GPA of 3.95 (8 classes) and an MCAT of 514. Im bummed but not surprised about the no acceptance.

My question is moving forward. If I take 3 classes per quarter until next June (2019) Ill be up to a 3.2 GPA assuming all A's. If I continue to add volunteer and research do you think that will be enough or should I apply to a masters/MPH/SMP to get an official graduate GPA.

TLDR: Do I work over the next year on EC/Vol/Research and go from 3.0 to 3.2 or would it be better to apply to a masters/MPH/SMP.
There's something else going on. Its not your post bacc or MCAT

There is definitely a red flag somewhere in your app. I had worse stats (3.1 cGPA, 505 MCAT, 250 clinical hours, ORM) and I got 7 II from the 26 DO schools I applied to.

I think it's either your personal statement or a negative LOR. Do you have any legal problems or academic discipline on your record? Did you apply late?

You may be missing the cutoff with a sub 3.0 for some of the DO schools and most MD schools. I still think that would leave you with a good chunk of DO schools that would show interest in a 514 MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user

8 classes should be enough to do the trick. What were they, and what was your school list?
Did you have a DO LOR?
DO shadowing?
Any IAs?
A bad LOR is a possibility

Reactions: 2 users
Your GPA is low, but not terrible in terms of getting attention from schools. A 514 is great, but might raise questions as to why you were lazy/unfocused/ or whatever else in UG to end up with a 3.0. They don't match up because your MCAT is so out of balance and that's the problem. I don't think this is your main issue though. It's not your interviewing skills most likely because you didn't get many. You have no research so consider getting involved with that. Get your EC's above average and make sure that your LOR's are above average as well. You can definitely take more classes to raise your GPA, but I agree with other posters......call up all the schools you applied to and get any advice that you can. Maybe your PS and secondaries aren't good writing. You might look into that as well. Hope that helps.

Hey guys sorry for the late response, just getting over a terrible flu. Anyways I called a bunch of schools and while many of them wouldn't give any info the ones that would read through my app and said there were no red flags or bad letters of Rec. Overall the message seemed to be "your app looks great its just crazy competitive". I did take me a little (early September) to get all the secondaries back so that could have been the negative influence or I need to reevaluate my PS/secondaries.

@Goro

The classes were biochem a, biochem b, developmental bio, cell bio, etc all upper div bio classes. My school list was pretty much every DO minus a couple and then a couple lower tier/new MD schools (OUWB, Rosalind, Lewis Katz, etc). I shadowed MDs for 70 hours and DO for 35 hours and got a LOR from that DO. And not sure what an IA is. It stinks because it feels like I should of had a better shot at interviews than what I got but I guess theres nothing I can do at this point. Any advice going forward is appreciated.

Hey guys sorry for the late response, just getting over a terrible flu. Anyways I called a bunch of schools and while many of them wouldn't give any info the ones that would read through my app and said there were no red flags or bad letters of Rec. Overall the message seemed to be "your app looks great its just crazy competitive". I did take me a little (early September) to get all the secondaries back so that could have been the negative influence or I need to reevaluate my PS/secondaries.

@Goro

The classes were biochem a, biochem b, developmental bio, cell bio, etc all upper div bio classes. My school list was pretty much every DO minus a couple and then a couple lower tier/new MD schools (OUWB, Rosalind, Lewis Katz, etc). I shadowed MDs for 70 hours and DO for 35 hours and got a LOR from that DO. And not sure what an IA is. It stinks because it feels like I should of had a better shot at interviews than what I got but I guess theres nothing I can do at this point. Any advice going forward is appreciated.
It is crazy-competitive out there. A new school like Western MI is nipping at the heels of Keck in terms of median stats for matriculants!

IA = Institutional Action. This is a sanction by your school for stuff like underage drinking, dorm violations, to cheating or stealing. They range from harmless to lethal, in terms of chances for getting into med school.

You may have a bad LOR, but usually the DO schools don't screen and would invite you anyway.
Take a gap year and increase that GPA. Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention