No Bachelor's Degree??

Started by argon18
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

argon18

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently taking the prereqs for the colleges I applied for Fall 09 admission. I used to think "the earlier I can get accepted to pharmacy school, the better." I actually got accepted, but now I think that the fact that I don't have a bachelor's will hold me back in the future, especially in the clinical setting: i might not qualify for administrative positions, promotions....
I mean, I can't just jump to getting an MBA or PhD w/o a bachelor's first, right??
Anybody in the same situation? Any advise/thoughts? 😕
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YOh-rpvjYg[/youtube]

First 30 seconds of family guy clip could be very helpful.

But seriously,
That is a good question but I dont know the answer on whether you need a bachelors. A PharmD can get you very far too.

Your best bet would be to speak with a good admissions counselor, dean of academic affairs, or a director of a hospital to see if having a PharmD but no BA/BS will hold you back in your career.

Congratulations on your acceptance though,
and Best of Luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Once you have a PharmD, you do not need a bachelor's degree.

👍 I remember there being a post about this once and apparently some schools require a bachelors no matter what to get other degrees. However, for the most part you should have no problem pursuing other advanced degrees once you have a PharmD. Your school might even have joint programs where you can pursue other degress while getting your PharmD. A bachelors won't be that helpful for a promotion.
 
I am currently taking the prereqs for the colleges I applied for Fall 09 admission. I used to think "the earlier I can get accepted to pharmacy school, the better." I actually got accepted, but now I think that the fact that I don't have a bachelor's will hold me back in the future, especially in the clinical setting: i might not qualify for administrative positions, promotions....
I mean, I can't just jump to getting an MBA or PhD w/o a bachelor's first, right??
Anybody in the same situation? Any advise/thoughts? 😕

Depends on the school. If I get accept to SCCP, I plan on getting an MBA, but I already have a BS. 😉

"Joint PharmD/MBA programs are currently offered at 16 colleges of pharmacy in the United States. [...] The joint degree program between the South Carolina College of Pharmacy and The Citadel allows students to achieve both degrees in the same four-year period. [...] Although the MBA program has traditionally required a bachelor’s degree, they have agreed to accept PharmD students who have completed a total of 124 credit hours."
http://www.sccp.sc.edu/students/pharmd_mba.aspx
 
Since a PharmD can be seen as a degree above a BA or BS, I think you'll be fine. It acts as an undergrad degree for those who don't have one. If you want to make yourself competitive in the future for clinical settings, do a residency (and/or get the MBA, JD, etc.) So pat yourself on the back, you're one of the lucky ones to get in without the degree. Just make sure to graduate 🙂