No Committee Letter Explanation on secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch2m2617

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I didn't get a committee letter (3.96 cgpa, 4.0 sgpa and 517 MCAT) because of a lack of community service and shadowing because I was late to the game in deciding I wanted to be a doctor. Anyways, I have worked really hard and done 100 hours in a FM practice shadowing and 50 hours at a homeless shelter since the application for the letter. I am also gonna start volunteering at the hospital. Should I talk about this on the "additional information" part of the secondaries? Or don't draw attention to the negatives and only talk about it if asked in interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

So to clarify, you have now applied for a committee letter? Or you still aren't using a committee letter?

You are applying in this cycle? I'm wondering why don't you wait for another year.
Now you seem to be a box checker instead of a true compassionate individual. Idk.

Members don't see this ad :)
So to clarify, you have now applied for a committee letter? Or you still aren't using a committee letter?
My school's committee declined to write me a letter in early June.

I'm under the impression that many universities (my UG included) don't even use committee letters. Can't you just not mention it? Or do med schools know whether your college offers these things?

You are applying in this cycle? I'm wondering why don't you wait for another year.
Now you seem to be a box checker instead of a true compassionate individual. Idk.
That's really not how it is at all. I didn't think I wanted to go this route so I am late to the party but I am very committed now and want to get started with my life so waiting another year isn't particularly appealing. I don't see the harm in giving it a whirl this round. If I don't get in, I don't get in and yes my chances will be less as a reapplicant but with my scores I think I will still have a solid shot with a full year of volunteering/clinical experience more.

My school's committee declined to write me a letter in early June.
Ok, and your question is whether to mention that you were denied a letter? Or your question is whether to mention the recently started volunteering?

Ok, and your question is whether to mention that you were denied a letter? Or your question is whether to mention the recently started volunteering?
Whether to explain why I did not get one, my volunteering made it on the primary. I started shortly after the committee letter application was due.

Whether to explain why I did not get one, my volunteering made it on the primary. I started shortly after the committee letter application was due.
Some schools will specifically ask if your undergrad has a committee, and if it does, require you to explain the lack of letter. Be honest for these.

However for schools that do not specifically ask, I would definitely not mention it, and hope the lack of letter goes unnoticed or they assume your school just doesn't provide them.

Reactions: 1 user