This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying this cycle and unfortunately I have zero DO shadowing. I heard that osteopathic schools mandate shadowing or strongly recommend it but I have not shadowed any DOs. the only clinical experience I have is scribing for an internist for over a year (aside from ER volunteering, and school/clinical research, pharmacy job). How likely am I to get through without DO experience? would learning about them via online and admission presentation be reasonably sufficient to show them that I have knowledge about DO?

My extracurriculars are very solid (teaching, leadership, volunteering, research, etc) (my publication/presentation won't be done until end of July). I don't have an MCAT score yet as it is scheduled for mid june but i took my first full length and got a 503, I'm confident I can improve with the month i have left.
3.8 cGPA and 3.75+ sGPA

will the lack of DO shadowing negatively impact my application? which schools do you think I can get into
I applied with no DO shadowing and only MD surgeon shadowing (applied 4 years ago now tho). Lower GPAs. Look to get a good MCAT score and you should be ok as long as you know "why DO".

I applied with no DO shadowing and only MD surgeon shadowing (applied 4 years ago now tho). Lower GPAs. Look to get a good MCAT score and you should be ok as long as you know "why DO".

sorry are you saying you had lower GPAs when you applied or that I have lower GPAs? Also do you mind sharing your thoughts on why you chose DO for yourself?

I will be applying this cycle and unfortunately I have zero DO shadowing. I heard that osteopathic schools mandate shadowing or strongly recommend it but I have not shadowed any DOs. the only clinical experience I have is scribing for an internist for over a year (aside from ER volunteering, and school/clinical research, pharmacy job). How likely am I to get through without DO experience? would learning about them via online and admission presentation be reasonably sufficient to show them that I have knowledge about DO?

My extracurriculars are very solid (teaching, leadership, volunteering, research, etc) (my publication/presentation won't be done until end of July). I don't have an MCAT score yet as it is scheduled for mid june but i took my first full length and got a 503, I'm confident I can improve with the month i have left.
3.8 cGPA and 3.75+ sGPA

will the lack of DO shadowing negatively impact my application? which schools do you think I can get into

Looks like it's app season, so will y'all do me a favor and copy and use the following, because we're going to see tons of posts like the OPs in the next six months:

Having a DO LOR always helps
Lacking a DO LOR doesn't hurt, except for those schools that require a DO LOR.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted with no DO shadowing. On interview day, we were required to write about what steps we have taken to familiarize ourselves with the osteopathic profession, so I literally talked about how I had watched videos of osteopathic physicians and read about the profession online lol.