No Experience -- Getting into an MSW program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queenie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am 22 years old and I graduated with a B.S. in Psychology earlier this year. I have a 3.68 GPA and I think that I will do okay on the GRE (especially the verbal and analytical sections; I'm thinking that I will have a combined V/Q score of at least 1000). I have pretty much NO work/volunteer experience in the human services/social work fields. I haven't volunteered since high school (terrible, I know -_-) and the only job I've had was working as an office assistant for two months.

I have been looking into social work and I am 100% sure that this is the occupation for me (it matches my values and my life goals PERFECTLY) so I want to get into an MSW program and get my MSW. (I am kicking myself now for not getting a BSW ^_^) HOWEVER, I've noticed that a LOT of schools really want you to have human services/social work experience (some schools don't even want a GRE score, which really surprises me) and, of course, I don't have any.

So, I was wondering, do any of you guys know of any schools that focus more on grades and less on social work/human services experience? Or should I just volunteer or get a job in the human services/social work fields? If I do that, how long should I volunteer/work? (A few months? A year?). I would do ANYTHING to get into a MSW program and I am not even kidding.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. You are helping a future social worker. :D Thank you for reading this and have a wonderful day.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Queenie, welcome!

I surprised that people haven't welcomed you better but I am sure everyone is just busy in this day and age. :) I do recommend that you experience the field of "social work" by engaging in different community activities/services/volunteering. By doing so you can validate your desire to work within social work and get to know the field. Our field is unique in the sense that we serve many population with a broad array of interventions. That is what make use jack-of-all trades :). But at the same time, to instill a empowering image of our clients and to be trained in knowing how to see the person-in-the-environment holistically SW-ers to be should have at least 2+ years experience. I work at my school's admission and experience is by far one of the biggest indicators for successful admission and completion of coursework so it'll weigh heavily against you. So go out, make 30k a year for now, but volunteer and come back and apply. Goodluck! :luck:

I agree that it will be hard for you to get into a decent MSW program with absolutely no experience, paid, volunteer, or internship. My program frequently turns down MSW applicants with stats like yours and little to no experience and tells them to get more experience in the field and reapply. They want to make sure you are committed to the field and want to do the work, and you'll want to make sure you enjoy this kind of work by working and volunteering yourself.

I'd suggest getting a job in the field, as well as a volunteer position you can do outside of your paid work. You can find nonprofits who need paid workers and volunteers on idealist.org, as well as looking at the traditional sites. You could also consider a paid volunteer position through Americorps. I'd say if you can start working in the field (either paid or unpaid) relatively soon that you could apply next fall. That would give you almost 2 years of experience before starting the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about research experience, would that help at all?

Everyone, thank you for your assistance. I have since looked into three CSWE-accredited schools in Georgia. Two said I do not need experience and one (the University of Georgia, my college) said that if I got volunteer experience until April (the deadline), I had a good chance. I am looking for short term volunteer experience at the moment and I have received a few offers. Again, thank you so much. I really appreciate it. If I am not able to get into any of the schools, I now know what I need to do.

terpskins10, I have heard that working directly with people is preferred over research. Thank you for your help.

lol queenie don't worry, in my experience you could probably get into any msw program, even if you had a 2.5 gpa and an undergrad in culinary arts. i went to a "top" program and academically it was easier than highschool. definitely worthwhile though if you want to work in this field. it's more like vocational school than academia, but you'll learn a lot and get skills you can use.

Last edited:
lol queenie don't worry, in my experience you could probably get into any msw program, even if you had a 2.5 gpa and an undergrad in culinary arts. i went to a "top" program and academically it was easier than highschool. definitely worthwhile though if you want to work in this field. it's more like vocational school than academia, but you'll learn a lot and get skills you can use.

Thank you for the advice. Really appreciate it. It does seem like vocational school to me, so that's perfect. :D