No Experience or volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Greggy Weggy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have tried to get a job as a tech but no one is hiring in my area, and I already had an interview at one place but did not get it. I also have no Volunteer experience due to me focusing primarily on schoolwork/research.
I do have 2 years of work experience in grocery market as a grocery clerk, and that is all.

If I focus on school and research alone, and ignore volunteering/experience, will my chances dwindle?

Any recommendations or words of advice towards my journey to get accepted if experience/volunteering is not an option?

Thank you
 
Well, I have no experience/volunteer either and it hasn't hurt me. I applied to five schools, received interview invites from all five schools and received admissions offers to all of the schools that I interviewed with. However, my application was really strong in other areas (4.0 GPA, 98 PCAT). I also have some really good work/leadership experience, although not Pharmacy related.

So, I think it depends how strong your application is in other area.

Have you looked into job shadowing? This could be less time consuming than volunteering but still bolster your application.
 
Check with independent pharmacies and find pharmacists who will let you do some shadowing and/or volunteering.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I have no experience/volunteer either and it hasn't hurt me. I applied to five schools, received interview invites from all five schools and received admissions offers to all of the schools that I interviewed with. However, my application was really strong in other areas (4.0 GPA, 98 PCAT). I also have some really good work/leadership experience, although not Pharmacy related.

So, I think it depends how strong your application is in other area.

Have you looked into job shadowing? This could be less time consuming than volunteering but still bolster your application.

Ahhh, my stats are not as good as yours though, Im sitting at a 3.72 and taking PCAT this summer. Im not really keen on shadowing. In my last job, I regularly talked to the pharmacist on break, and he talked to me about pharmacy and why he chose this path, so I assume that is "informal" job shadowing. It is also a time issue since I conduct research on the weekends and my free time during weekdays.
 
I had the same problem and found it difficult to volunteer anywhere, until I went to an animal hospital. I got a pharmacy volunteer position there easy! It was awesome. If you have a university vet teaching hospital in town, or nearby, that would be your best bet, or even a internet-based pet pharmacy (like 1800PETMEDS).

If that fails, google compounding pharmacies in your city, they tend to be locally owned.

lastly, try getting healthcare volunteer experience. look up local healthcare fairs in your area, they may even be advertised on tv, and lend a hand there.
 
I had the same problem and found it difficult to volunteer anywhere, until I went to an animal hospital. I got a pharmacy volunteer position there easy! It was awesome. If you have a university vet teaching hospital in town, or nearby, that would be your best bet, or even a internet-based pet pharmacy (like 1800PETMEDS).

If that fails, google compounding pharmacies in your city, they tend to be locally owned.

lastly, try getting healthcare volunteer experience. look up local healthcare fairs in your area, they may even be advertised on tv, and lend a hand there.

That's a genius idea. I'll pass it on to my pre-pharmacy friends.

Without it, how do you know if you would want to be a pharmacist?

Read about it on the Internet.
 
Without it, how do you know if you would want to be a pharmacist?

1. I like to study the effects of drugs on organisms and how they effect a person's behavior. (currently doing research on bacterial resistance to antibiotics)

2. I had a severe injury and I had a terrible infection. I was prescribed antibiotics, but they failed to cease the infection. I had to have multiple surgeries and now I am stuck with scars, and I always think what if there was an antibiotic that would have conquered the infection and saved me from having those surgeries. I would like to be the "commander" providing the proper "arsenal" to fight the specific "war", so people don't have to experience what I have.

3. It's a great career that offers many opportunities in my areas of interest. The time it takes to complete my PharmD is very attractive since I would like to have a family in the near future and provide for them comfortably. (currently looking at two schools offering accelerated 3 year programs)

If I were to get experience, I really doubt it would change my feelings towards Pharmacy.
 
You sound like me, you appreciate the research behind it and drug discovery. If thats what you enjoy you probably will not like retail pharmacy too much, you sell drugs and advice not the development behind the drug.

If I were you, I'd take a Microbiology course. Antibiotic resistance is one of the BIGGEST issues the healthcare industry is facing due to multiple reasons (ie MDs). If you enjoy drug discovery and research, a PharmD degree isnt the optimal career choice. An MS or PhD is the way to go... and yes they also make a bunch of money ($60k-$120K), but not like walgreens who will pay $50/hr.
 
You sound like me, you appreciate the research behind it and drug discovery. If thats what you enjoy you probably will not like retail pharmacy too much, you sell drugs and advice not the development behind the drug.

If I were you, I'd take a Microbiology course. Antibiotic resistance is one of the BIGGEST issues the healthcare industry is facing due to multiple reasons (ie MDs). If you enjoy drug discovery and research, a PharmD degree isnt the optimal career choice. An MS or PhD is the way to go... and yes they also make a bunch of money ($60k-$120K), but not like walgreens who will pay $50/hr.

PhD in my opinion is too time consuming and the reward isn't as large. I don't think I will hate retail since I already worked in a retail environment as a grocery clerk and enjoyed it. Also, If I'm not mistaken, retail Pharmacy isn't the only option after obtaining a PharmD, right?
 
I have tried to get a job as a tech but no one is hiring in my area, and I already had an interview at one place but did not get it. I also have no Volunteer experience due to me focusing primarily on schoolwork/research.
I do have 2 years of work experience in grocery market as a grocery clerk, and that is all.

If I focus on school and research alone, and ignore volunteering/experience, will my chances dwindle?

Any recommendations or words of advice towards my journey to get accepted if experience/volunteering is not an option?

Thank you

Some experience is better than no experience. Your GPA (and hopefully PCAT) are strong so experience would serve to round out your application. Many schools highly value pharmacy experience (and some even require it). I would say that it depends on the schools you are applying to. Since you do have research experience, having pharmacy experience isn't really a necessity (IMO) to get accepted at many schools. As others have mentioned, there are many ways to go about obtaining some experience whether that be shadowing or finding a tech job. I encourage you to continue your search, as a well rounded application is the best application.

PhD in my opinion is too time consuming and the reward isn't as large. I don't think I will hate retail since I already worked in a retail environment as a grocery clerk and enjoyed it. Also, If I'm not mistaken, retail Pharmacy isn't the only option after obtaining a PharmD, right?

Although retail pharmacy is not the only option post graduation, remember that the economy is not in the best shape. With the number of new schools opening and PharmD jobs drying up, we are not necessarily going to have the ability to be so selective when it comes to finding a job. You might end up in retail for all you know. You can strive to set yourself apart but this doesn't mean you are going to be guaranteed your dream job.

Personally, I think experience should be required- even if it is in the form of shadowing. You need to know what you are getting into. I highly encourage you do to your best to find someone to shadow.
 
Personally, I think experience should be required- even if it is in the form of shadowing. You need to know what you are getting into. I highly encourage you do to your best to find someone to shadow.

Agreed. And don't give up, OP. You could try also getting certified (CPhT) to make yourself a bit more competitive in finding a job, if you haven't already. The test is easy, but you'll have to pay for it yourself, and it's still no guarantee of finding a job.
 
This:

Some experience is better than no experience. Your GPA (and hopefully PCAT) are strong so experience would serve to round out your application. Many schools highly value pharmacy experience (and some even require it). I would say that it depends on the schools you are applying to. Since you do have research experience, having pharmacy experience isn't really a necessity (IMO) to get accepted at many schools.

And that:

Personally, I think experience should be required- even if it is in the form of shadowing. You need to know what you are getting into. I highly encourage you do to your best to find someone to shadow.
👍
 
Without it, how do you know if you would want to be a pharmacist?

This is definitely the question that I would have asked. As for reading on the internet, I doubt that will give you a real understanding of what the field is like. However, it may be that you can know you will like it by the job description. I wouldn't trust my whole future on a few paragraphs on the internet.

Especially Retail. If you read all the horrible descriptions of retail on the internet, it may give you the wrong idea. It took me a few months when I was first starting out, but it turns out I really loved pharmacy and it wasn't just a suggestion by family that made my decision.

I don't know, I would still keep looking and if you were hired, you're hired. If not, work on some EC's that show you're serious about a career in pharmacy.

Best,

Steven
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is definitely the question that I would have asked. As for reading on the internet, I doubt that will give you a real understanding of what the field is like. However, it may be that you can know you will like it by the job description. I wouldn't trust my whole future on a few paragraphs on the internet.

Especially Retail. If you read all the horrible descriptions of retail on the internet, it may give you the wrong idea. It took me a few months when I was first starting out, but it turns out I really loved pharmacy and it wasn't just a suggestion by family that made my decision.

I don't know, I would still keep looking and if you were hired, you're hired. If not, work on some EC's that show you're serious about a career in pharmacy.

Best,

Steven

If I got a job as a Pharmacy Tech in retail, I would take in scripts, input information into the system, ring customers out, and potentially count pills/calculate simple algebra problems. (These are the duties the Pharmacist told me I would be doing if I got the job during my interview)

Since I worked in a grocery store as a grocery clerk, I already established great customer service and the ability to not break down during high traffic situations. The only thing I would be doing differently is taking in scripts and imputing them into the system. That alone will not change my choice, and that is the reason I stopped looking for experience.
 
If I got a job as a Pharmacy Tech in retail, I would take in scripts, input information into the system, ring customers out, and potentially count pills/calculate simple algebra problems. (These are the duties the Pharmacist told me I would be doing if I got the job during my interview)

Since I worked in a grocery store as a grocery clerk, I already established great customer service and the ability to not break down during high traffic situations. The only thing I would be doing differently is taking in scripts and imputing them into the system. That alone will not change my choice, and that is the reason I stopped looking for experience.

Another thing to remember is getting along with your coworkers even in busy and potentially stressful situations. Sometimes as a sales associate, you can walk around the entire store doing different tasks, but in the pharmacy, you're limited to a much smaller space where you're physically closer to your coworkers. I had some difficulty adjusting to that at first, but now I've gotten used to it.

Every pharmacist does things a little differently depending on experience, personality, etc, so figuring that out and getting used to that can help quite a bit.
 
If I got a job as a Pharmacy Tech in retail, I would take in scripts, input information into the system, ring customers out, and potentially count pills/calculate simple algebra problems. (These are the duties the Pharmacist told me I would be doing if I got the job during my interview)

Since I worked in a grocery store as a grocery clerk, I already established great customer service and the ability to not break down during high traffic situations. The only thing I would be doing differently is taking in scripts and imputing them into the system. That alone will not change my choice, and that is the reason I stopped looking for experience.

Grocery clerk is not as close to tech as you may think. The customer service side is, sure. But dealing with insurance rejects, non-stop phone calls, the relative multitasking requirement (compared with being a clerk), etc, etc. They are more different than you think.

Also what Bob said. As a clerk you basically just mind your own business (while doing your job I mean) and call a manager prn. I am sure there are techs like this too, but really you will need a much stronger team attitude/approach to work in the pharmacy. Your boss will be constantly supervising you. Plus there is the whole mistakes being potentially fatal thing, yada yada yada.

I don't mean to make it sound like there is no overlap in skill set; there is. Particularly when it comes to dealing with the public. But they are also very different in some key ways. I would definitely not mention to any admission committees you gave up looking for experience in pharmacy because you have already been a cashier, in a few years you will realize how silly that sounds.
 
Grocery clerk is not as close to tech as you may think. The customer service side is, sure. But dealing with insurance rejects, non-stop phone calls, the relative multitasking requirement (compared with being a clerk), etc, etc. They are more different than you think.

Also what Bob said. As a clerk you basically just mind your own business (while doing your job I mean) and call a manager prn. I am sure there are techs like this too, but really you will need a much stronger team attitude/approach to work in the pharmacy. Your boss will be constantly supervising you. Plus there is the whole mistakes being potentially fatal thing, yada yada yada.

I don't mean to make it sound like there is no overlap in skill set; there is. Particularly when it comes to dealing with the public. But they are also very different in some key ways. I would definitely not mention to any admission committees you gave up looking for experience in pharmacy because you have already been a cashier, in a few years you will realize how silly that sounds.

Yes I agree it does sounds silly and my experience does NOT replace the experience I would have as a tech, but more in the line of having the ability of not being completely blown away and breaking down if I step into a Pharmacy.

Pardon me, let me paraphrase and input more detail, I did not stop looking for Pharmacy experience just because I have general retail experience, although it was one reason. The other reason was that I want to focus on the upcoming arduous semester and also the PCAT which I will be taking after the semester. Since the plan is to start applying in the summer/early fall, I want to raise my GPA and receive a competitive PCAT score to go on my application. If I was in my freshman/sophomore or even junior year I would have definitely be more serious about experience.
 
Yes I agree it does sounds silly and my experience does NOT replace the experience I would have as a tech, but more in the line of having the ability of not being completely blown away and breaking down if I step into a Pharmacy.

Pardon me, let me paraphrase and input more detail, I did not stop looking for Pharmacy experience just because I have general retail experience, although it was one reason. The other reason was that I want to focus on the upcoming arduous semester and also the PCAT which I will be taking after the semester. Since the plan is to start applying in the summer/early fall, I want to raise my GPA and receive a competitive PCAT score to go on my application. If I was in my freshman/sophomore or even junior year I would have definitely be more serious about experience.

Ah, that makes quite a bit more sense. Anyway, good luck! 👍
 
lol on the banana. I couldn't stop laughing

$50 dollars an hour, I'm having second thoughts about pre-med. less training, great pay.
 
...The other reason was that I want to focus on the upcoming arduous semester and also the PCAT which I will be taking after the semester. Since the plan is to start applying in the summer/early fall, I want to raise my GPA and receive a competitive PCAT score to go on my application. If I was in my freshman/sophomore or even junior year I would have definitely be more serious about experience.

Can I suggest a small community clinic? When I was waiting to find a job in a retail pharmacy, I found a relatively small community clinic that was tucked into a small neighborhood that treated low-income families.

I volunteered there for a few months and they were very flexible with my time. It was a once-a-week thing. I did it every Thursday knowing that I didn't really need to show up if I couldn't .

I was able to speak with Pharmacists who had to volunteer there and most were glad to be able to offer their time. It is a real different atmosphere than retail though. I remember the patients were VERY polite and saw the doctor on site. They would wrap around our hallway and stand at the half-door (open on top, closed on bottom) and wait patiently for their medication. Afterall, we would dispense it as they walked up to the door so they saw us doing it and it was the GREATEST experience I have ever had in pharmacy.

I wish retail was like that. 🙂

Anyways, volunteering if you can is awesome. Grades should be a priority though and I think you are making a smart decision.

Best,

Steven.