No friggin way...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in utter shock. I have just returned from a week in San Diego and found some interesting mail. Apparently the mailbox-nazi that delivers my mail decided that parking 4 feet away from the mailbox is too close. He doesn't want to have to stretch out his arm or (dare I even think it) get out of his car. He left several notes, all of which while we were away. On March 13th he stopped delivering my mail!!! :eek:

I am waiting on campus placement from one school, my Harvard rejection, an OHSU acceptance packet, and a few other potential rejections. I need my mail! Seriously...mail not being delivered mid-March? It is an applicant’s nightmare.:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

So why did he stop delivering your mail?

I feel your pain. I have been in an ongoing struggle of epic porportions with my mailman for 2 years now.

Even my cat and the neighbors weiner dog have joined me in my struggle!

The mail man sent a notice to us too one time for parking in a certain spot that was blocking the mail box. they said they couldn't deliver mail if the car was at a certain distance from the mailbox.

I'd contact your postoffice to see if they have your mail there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My mail lady was so kind as to hand write a note and leave it in my mailbox without delivering my mail after a huge snowstorm telling me that until the snow is cleared in front of my mailbox I will not be receiving any mail. Go to the post office they will have it there. Or you could wait it out and eventually your mailbox will be overflowing with all the stock piled mail.

In all fairness though, if there's a car or something else blocking your mailbox, they shouldn't be expected to deliver your mail. I worked as a temporary mail carrier for a little while during undergrad and most people don't understand how much work they try to squeeze out of the limited time and staff they have (if you're wondering why people go "postal", this is one of the reasons). Given the sheer number of houses to which they have to deliver in such a short amount of time, carriers really can't be expected to waste time getting out of the truck and maneuvering around whatever obstructions block the box. Most mail carriers will do what they can to get you your mail, but at the very least, you need to hold up your end of the bargain and allow them access to your box.

but at the very least, you need to hold up your end of the bargain and allow them access to your box.

that's solid advice for all aspects of the admission process really... ;)

I love that they will take the time to put multiple notes in there, but not your mail.

Breathe - its only like 3 days of mail. And getting it 3 days late won't kill you.

Go to the post office before they close today and tell them the situation. They should have your mail there and they can inform your mailman that the car has been moved and he needs to start delivering your mail again.

In all fairness though, if there's a car or something else blocking your mailbox, they shouldn't be expected to deliver your mail.

What if it wasn't her car, though? Our mailboxes here aren't in front of our houses but we frequently have the neighbors parking in front of our house, even blocking our driveway. I'd hate to have my mail not be delivered when it wasn't my car nearly the mailbox. :(

Breathe - its only like 3 days of mail. And getting it 3 days late won't kill you.

Go to the post office before they close today and tell them the situation. They should have your mail there and they can inform your mailman that the car has been moved and he needs to start delivering your mail again.

bring ID too..last time that happened to me the manager at the post office wanted to see some id ..i guess they had problems in the past w/mail being stolen (?)

I was thinking the exact same thing...

No, he put in notes for several days (with the mail) and when the car still didn't get moved he stopped delivering mail. Or thats the way I read it.

That is a scary situation. Hopefully you got some large envelopes when you went to the post office.

I was out of town again all day so I couldn't get to the post office. We have had problems with other people parking directly in front of our mailbox, but this was one of our cars. It wasn't in front of the mailbox though...it was literally 4 feet away (we made sure). Ah well, this whole application process has me high-strung.

They delivered today's mail, but I am not sure which post office is keeping the other mail. I'll look online. Thanks for the commiseration.

keep us posted! GOOD LUCK!