No grants for pharmacy students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Junior9999

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got accepted to a pharmacy school for 2019 fall a couple months ago. I just got the financial aid information now and I don't get the grants at all. I got unsubsidized direct loan, grad plus direct loan and some scholarships. I am just curious that pharmacy students don't get any of grants (like Cal grants and federal grants) at all or is it just me?

Please reply me and I am really appreciate with any answers.

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly, for professional health schools (pharmacy, dental, medical), we only qualify for un-subsidized direct loans and grad plus direct loans.
The Cal grants and other federal grants are reserved for undergraduate programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope - this is why pharm students graduate with so much debt - please make sure you realize that when you decide if this is what you want to do - you WILL graduate with huge debt and be struggling to find a job.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm confused about the aid too. I will be beginning next fall and some of the schools I am choosing from say they will admit me at the undergraduate level for the first two years, since I do not have a bachelor's degree. What does this mean for the loans I can take out through FAFSA to pay for school that the subsidized and unsubsidized loans won't cover? Will I not qualify for graduate plus loans and have to get my parents to apply for the parent plus loans?

I'm confused about the aid too. I will be beginning next fall and some of the schools I am choosing from say they will admit me at the undergraduate level for the first two years, since I do not have a bachelor's degree. What does this mean for the loans I can take out through FAFSA to pay for school that the subsidized and unsubsidized loans won't cover? Will I not qualify for graduate plus loans and have to get my parents to apply for the parent plus loans?
I had a degree and was considered an undergrad for the first two years for financial aid purposes - I think the reason is that for a tradiitonal 6 year program the first four years are such that - undergrad. You will qualify for private loans - anybody with a pulse qualifies for private loans - that doesn't mean you should take them
How expensive of a school are you going to? How much will you be working?

Reactions: 1 users
I had a degree and was considered an undergrad for the first two years for financial aid purposes - I think the reason is that for a tradiitonal 6 year program the first four years are such that - undergrad. You will qualify for private loans - anybody with a pulse qualifies for private loans - that doesn't mean you should take them
How expensive of a school are you going to? How much will you be working?
I don't want to make my parents cosign with me for the private loans. I have a good credit score of 740+ so that should help with applying for private loans, but I only work about 20 hours/week right now. When I start pharmacy school I plan on cutting that in half. The pharmacy school I'm really considering is a top 5 school in the country but tuition is going to be about 32k a year.

I don't want to make my parents cosign with me for the private loans. I have a good credit score of 740+ so that should help with applying for private loans, but I only work about 20 hours/week right now. When I start pharmacy school I plan on cutting that in half. The pharmacy school I'm really considering is a top 5 school in the country but tuition is going to be about 32k a year.

When did they start ranking pharmacy schools? It really doesn't matter what ranked school you are going to. As long as you graduate from an accredited school, you'll get a degree and an opportunity to test for your license. I hope you already did your research about the job market though because the schools don't guarantee jobs regardless if they're in the TOP 5 PHARMACY SCHOOLS LIST

It's about more than just that. The networking ability is phenomenal at some of these programs, and as long as you work to make connections, you will have opportunities. It's a completely different environment from your average run of the mill school that is producing the next CVS or Rite Aid pharmacist.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It's about more than just that. The networking ability is phenomenal at some of these programs, and as long as you work to make connections, you will have opportunities. It's a completely different environment from your average run of the mill school that is producing the next CVS or Rite Aid pharmacist.

Lol, okay

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Lul at a matriculating pharmacy student explaining the job market to practicing pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user

I assume that is what the college recruiter told you? FYI, pharmacy school isn't lawyer school.