1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

No influence on rotation order or take a year off?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by SplenoMegastar, May 12, 2008.

1. SplenoMegastar

7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I have a situation that gives me two options (gotta skip the details): miss the lottery for 3rd year rotation schedule and be given whatever slots are left in whatever order they can fit me in, or take a year off and enter the following year's lottery. That year off would be spent doing research (but I kinda wanted to do that after 3rd year.) It would be after the deadline to swap with other students. I'm interested in gen surg and ENT. I'm afraid that I won't be as sharp 3rd year if I take a year off, but I'm also afraid of getting my surgery rotation at a time that might really suck. Thanks in advance.

2. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才
    Moderator Physician Verified Expert 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just take what they give you, it hardly matters if at all.

3. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with Jeebus - just go ahead and get third year over with. There are many advantages to having surgery early/middle in the year, but there are even advantages to having surgery late in the year (hard as it is to believe). It doesn't really matter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i concur. it really doesn't matter. The whole concept is a false sense of control given to try and help medical students think they have some control over part of thier life. (or at least that was how it felt when I was a third year)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...