No influence on rotation order or take a year off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SplenoMegastar

MS4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a situation that gives me two options (gotta skip the details): miss the lottery for 3rd year rotation schedule and be given whatever slots are left in whatever order they can fit me in, or take a year off and enter the following year's lottery. That year off would be spent doing research (but I kinda wanted to do that after 3rd year.) It would be after the deadline to swap with other students. I'm interested in gen surg and ENT. I'm afraid that I won't be as sharp 3rd year if I take a year off, but I'm also afraid of getting my surgery rotation at a time that might really suck. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid that I won't be as sharp 3rd year if I take a year off, but I'm also afraid of getting my surgery rotation at a time that might really suck. Thanks in advance.

Just take what they give you, it hardly matters if at all.

I agree with Jeebus - just go ahead and get third year over with. There are many advantages to having surgery early/middle in the year, but there are even advantages to having surgery late in the year (hard as it is to believe). It doesn't really matter.

i concur. it really doesn't matter. The whole concept is a false sense of control given to try and help medical students think they have some control over part of thier life. (or at least that was how it felt when I was a third year)