No interview invites...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hereitgoesagain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One rejection (DMU) and not a peep from anyone else. Should I be freaking out?

How soon after you submitted secondaries did you hear back?

This is my second application cycle (ZERO interviews last year...:( although I applied quite late with a low MCAT score) so I'm not really sure what I'll do if I don't get in this year.

Members don't see this ad.

This is my second application cycle (ZERO interviews last year...:( although I applied quite late with a low MCAT score) so I'm not really sure what I'll do if I don't get in this year.

What are your stats and what schools did you apply to? I still haven't heard back from CCOM and I was complete back in July.

Give it time man. Start freaking out if it's December and no word. For now, just chilll.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.37sci / 3.31cum / 8V 8PS 9BS

I have solid EC's (standard hospital volunteering, D.O. LOR, reading tutor, volunteered with disabled children every Friday night..). I was also a business major (graduated Dec. 2010), worked as a marketing director to put myself through undergrad, and I'm currently a graphic artist.

I applied to these schools immediately:
AT Still - AZ
AZCOM
DMUCOM
KCUMB
LECOM - PA
UNECOM
TOURO
WVSOM

Tonight I got nervous that I hadn't applied to enough schools and added:
LECOM-FL
NSUCOM
RVUCOM

Any chance of retaking the MCAT? How about updates- anything new that you can inform schools of?

Schools get thousands of applications, so it would be wise to periodically check-in to see how things are going with your application. Be proactive, because again... you're just one applicant out of thousands of others. Make yourself stand out (in a good way, of course) by updating schools, letters of interest, etc. Show interest, research the schools heavily, and write an informed letter of interest based upon your findings and what you like about each school.

That 25 was my retake (I got a 21 the first time). I have always worked 40-60 hours a week which contributed to the mediocre MCAT and completely average gpa.

Is your suggestion of writing an informed letter of interest in addition to secondary applications? Who do you write to?

I mean... obviously you write to the school but what specific person do you direct your letter to? And how do you go about doing this without being an annoyance?

I have solid EC's (standard hospital volunteering, D.O. LOR, reading tutor, volunteered with disabled children every Friday night..). I was also a business major (graduated Dec. 2010), worked as a marketing director to put myself through undergrad, and I'm currently a graphic artist.

AT Still - AZ
AZCOM
DMUCOM
KCUMB
LECOM - PA
UNECOM
TOURO
WVSOM

LECOM-FL
NSUCOM
RVUCOM

Quite a few competitive DO schools on there considering your not so competitive stats. How much has your GPA improved from last cycle? +4 points on the MCAT is good, but a 25 is still on the low end.
I mean... obviously you write to the school but what specific person do you direct your letter to? And how do you go about doing this without being an annoyance?

I'd write to the Dean of Admissions.

At what point did you guys send out a letter of interest? I was marked complete about three weeks ago but. Haven't heard any interviews yet...

At what point did you guys send out a letter of interest? I was marked complete about three weeks ago but. Haven't heard any interviews yet...

I sent one post-rejection to an MD school, but haven't sent any others. 3 weeks isn't that long, I think you should keep waiting. I've been complete at CCOM for almost 8 weeks and no ii/rejection/wait list decision yet.

I'm with you. I would rather get some news even if it is a rejection than this quietness. It's killing me :mad: But we must be patient there are thousands of apps before us

Quite a few competitive DO schools on there considering your not so competitive stats. How much has your GPA improved from last cycle? +4 points on the MCAT is good, but a 25 is still on the low end.

What schools would you consider less competitive? Or what schools would I be on par for? My gpa is the same, I graduated college and took a year off.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm with you. I would rather get some news even if it is a rejection than this quietness. It's killing me :mad: But we must be patient there are thousands of apps before us

Seriously... I think I'd be freaking out less if I had some sort of back up plan. But I'm 27 years old and at this point and I don't know if I can drag my family through the stress and expense of applying (not to mention improving my stats, apparently) next cycle.

I honestly think a letter of interest won't do much unless it's post-interview. There are definitely MANY people writing these letters. The school knows you want to go there and you have the secondary application to express that interest. All you are doing is giving these people more work during the busiest time of the year for them if you give them more documentation to evaluate.

Best thing you can do right now is just go out, have fun, relax, and take your mind off of it until you get some emails.

I honestly think a letter of interest won't do much unless it's post-interview. There are definitely MANY people writing these letters. The school knows you want to go there and you have the secondary application to express that interest. All you are doing is giving these people more work during the busiest time of the year for them if you give them more documentation to evaluate.

Best thing you can do right now is just go out, have fun, relax, and take your mind off of it until you get some emails.

Thank you. I kind of wondered about that... not because I am too lazy to write the letters, but because they get such a HUGE volume of them and at this point it's meaningless. Do you have any insight into which schools are less competitive?

What schools would you consider less competitive? Or what schools would I be on par for? My gpa is the same, I graduated college and took a year off.

KYCOM and possibly the new schools. You already have a good list, I was just pounting out that you spent a lot od money on reaches.. though there's nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

KYCOM and possibly the new schools. You already have a good list, I was just pounting out that you spent a lot od money on reaches.. though there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know which ones are new? I've only now posted in SDN and in retrospect it would have been wise to come here first. I'm not offended at all, no worries. Just interested in a list of schools that are possibly not such reaches. I applied to schools my pre-med counselor said I should, but I'm kind of wondering if she really knew..

I think Cambell (NC), Alabama, and Marian (IN) are the three new DO schools

I don't know which ones are new? I've only now posted in SDN and in retrospect it would have been wise to come here first. I'm not offended at all, no worries. Just interested in a list of schools that are possibly not such reaches. I applied to schools my pre-med counselor said I should, but I'm kind of wondering if she really knew..

First rule of SDN is "SDN know more than your premed counselor". You're fine, but had you come to SDN sooner you wouldve been convinced to raise your gpa.

I think Cambell (NC), Alabama, and Marian (IN) are the three new DO schools

:thumbup:

First rule of SDN is "SDN know more than your premed counselor". You're fine, but had you come to SDN sooner you wouldve been convinced to raise your gpa.

:(

Applied to new schools. $300,000 dollars later I am praying I get in ANYWHERE! (Caribbean, here I come...)

I think your GPA is okay. It doesn't stand out, but I think if you applied to mid- and lower-tier DO schools you should get II's based on your GPA. Your MCAT is low though. If your GPA were higher I think a 25 is passable, but a low GPA demands a higher MCAT. I think your best bet if you don't get in this year is to maybe retake two or three classes you have the lowest grades in, and study for the MCAT to get a 27+. I would also consider one more clinical activity. Hospice is a good one for someone without a whole lot of time since you get to set up your own schedule and it's only a few hours a week. It's not for everyone, but if you think you can handle it, it can be very rewarding. Good luck.

applying to only 8 schools with some of them being the more competitive ones was a bit of a mistake. you should have def had a more diverse school selection, no offense OP. Your location plays a big part too on where you apply. Id say at least half the schools you applied to are very competitive and then you have a school like WV who defers a ton of people because they seem to look for specific things. Its still early, but it might not hurt to add more schools.

applying to only 8 schools with some of them being the more competitive ones was a bit of a mistake. you should have def had a more diverse school selection, no offense OP. Your location plays a big part too on where you apply. Id say at least half the schools you applied to are very competitive and then you have a school like WV who defers a ton of people because they seem to look for specific things. Its still early, but it might not hurt to add more schools.

Thank you so much for your input! I actually added the following schools today, since I'm already verified it's relatively quick:
ACOM
LECOM-FL
Marion
Pikeville
PCOM (kidding!)

Location did play a huge part-- I'm in Utah and my fiance has a 3-year-old daughter I'm in the process of adopting, so I was trying to apply to schools relatively close (Utah).

Last edited:
I think you will get iis later in the cycle. The 25 is probably why you are not getting early iis. I think you should apply to the 3 new schools

consider adding campbell too. yeah i can understand that location is a big part of it when you have a family..

It's only September, so patience, young Jedi, patience!

AT Still - AZ
AZCOM
DMUCOM
KCUMB
LECOM - PA
UNECOM
TOURO
WVSOM

LECOM-FL
NSUCOM
RVUCOM

Go here. Download BOTH documents (CIB+supplement). Read like crazy!

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

As noted, I added all those schools and all of the secondaries will be submitted on Friday, but now I'm nervous that it's getting too late. Should I just save my money?

WVSOM has put my application on decision deferred. AZCOM sent a, "Your application was deemed to possess enough merit to be held for future review and this should be viewed as a positive result," letter.

What are thoughts? Submit the secondaries and potentially throw away the money on this cycle? Give up? Implode?

Do not retake the mcat. What's the complete list of schools you've applied to so far?

Submit the secondaries as fast as you can. Your stats are good enough if the ECs and LORs are solid. It's still somewhat early. I wouldn't bet against you getting some interviews.

This is not somewhat early. You kidding ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

For interviews it is

I'm very surprised you haven't gotten any invites..your stats are pretty average, with a little better than average EC's. Good luck brah

The DO timeline for applications is a little longer than MD. It is not late at this point...but it is getting there.

The day I matriculate I will login to SDN and pay for a lifetime membership. I would have been lost without the anal, psychotic guidance on this site.

Same.

Edit: It's only ~$24 right?

Same.

Edit: It's only ~$24 right?

Yeah me too...although I might have trouble scraping up enough after paying tuition :D

Lifetime Membership is $250

Technically it's for 28 Years so it comes out to around $8.92 a year.

It's only for 25 years? Jerks.

That's what it says when I went to the donor page. Although it only says 28 years after you click on the drop-down menu to donate. Sorry I said 25 before, I edited that in my previous post.

The bronze/silver/gold levels are more *E0. You could do that when you get accepted then go lifetime when you pass your comlex/usmle.

With interest my SDN lifetime membership will cost like $900 ;)

I want to get a lifetime membership. I think I owe it to SDN. Just have to convince the wife. Lol

I want to get a lifetime membership. I think I owe it to SDN. Just have to convince the wife. Lol

I do too.. Just have to convince my bank account :(

Thank you guys for all your valuable advice! I finished the applications I received this weekend. I'm still waiting on the secondary for Touro-NV, Marian, and Campbell--I emailed all three schools (Touro twice over the last few weeks and they haven't gotten back to me.).

Wish me luck!

Thank you guys for all your valuable advice! I finished the applications I received this weekend. I'm still waiting on the secondary for Touro-NV, Marian, and Campbell--I emailed all three schools (Touro twice over the last few weeks and they haven't gotten back to me.).

Wish me luck!

Campbell appreciates those who show enthusiasm about the program. It could never hurt to call and ask about it;)

consider adding campbell too. yeah i can understand that location is a big part of it when you have a family..

Cole, when did you have everything submitted? I am still waiting to hear back from schools I submitted secondaries to in August. I'm so scared I screwed myself out of acceptance this year by submitting a ton of secondaries early October. I just got my secondary from Touro a few days ago and I'm wondering if it's worth it even to apply. My stat's are very similar to yours. Thoughts?