No interviews + any tips for next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalStudent8991

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Its almost the end of February and I still have no interviews and have three rejections so far out of the 13 schools I applied to. At this point I have lost hope for this cycle and plan on shifting my focus to the next cycle and what I can improve on. I highly doubt schools are still interviewing this late into the cycle, but if anyone has any information about schools that are still interviewing its always appreciated. (my school list is in my previous WAMC post).

Ive made other posts that breakdown my application but for the sake of advice ill recap it here

DAT: 19AA, 19TS, 24BIO, 19GC, 16OC, 22RC, 16QR, 16PAT

oGPA: 3.73 sGPA: 3.72

Shadowing: 80 hours

Volunteering: 20 hours

Research: 300+

The most obvious improvements I need to make for the next cycle seem to be my DAT and volunteering hours.
I applied in late september of this past cycle and thus applying much close to the beginning of the next application cycle is also another goal of mine

With all this in mind I would greatly appreciate some advice for how else I can strengthen my application for the next cycle? DAT study tips? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I remember your WAMC, and it's unfortunate that you haven't heard anything yet, I know how it feels. You've identified two of your weak points already which is good, and in all honesty just improving your volunteering hours will go a long way. As for your DAT, you may want to go to the DAT Discussion forum and see what advice you can get from them over there. Seems like DAT Booster is helping a lot of people put out some really good scores, but at the end of the day it's all about how committed you are to your studying. You graduated correct? What have you been doing since then?

Reactions: 1 user
really improve dat, increase shadowing and volunteering hours and you'll be fine.. then apply to schools that align with your stats

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember your WAMC, and it's unfortunate that you haven't heard anything yet, I know how it feels. You've identified two of your weak points already which is good, and in all honesty just improving your volunteering hours will go a long way. As for your DAT, you may want to go to the DAT Discussion forum and see what advice you can get from them over there. Seems like DAT Booster is helping a lot of people put out some really good scores, but at the end of the day it's all about how committed you are to your studying. You graduated correct? What have you been doing since then?
I actually graduate this May. This was another issue for me, wtf do I do once I graduate. The most likely path for me right now is probably to get a entry job somewhere in the biotech research field with my experience and in the mean time prepare for dental school.

But the idea of a masters is also on the table. Honestly not too sure if I want to fork out another 20k just for another piece of paper to put on the wall.

I wouldn't bother with a masters, your GPA is good. I believe your DAT is honestly what is holding you back (Having a 16 in PAT and OC are the real killers here not your AA or TS). The lack of volunteering certainly isn't helping you as you mention, but I don't think it is what is stopping you as much as those 3 DAT sections of 16s. I would recommend that you really focus on taking the DAT again and succeeding (you mention you plan to), but don't take it until you really feel ready to kill it since you will have a full gap year and that should be the difference maker for your application. In terms of what to do in the gap year other than the DAT, look into doing more research (since you already have done a lot it might be easy to get into doing more for some money) or a job of any kind you want really. From my understanding, as long as you are doing something productive schools won't mind too much what it is. In that gap year, to benefit your app I would also just throw in volunteering one evening or weekend afternoon a week at the same place. Will boost your hours significantly and show commitment to a program you may be interested in being a part of helping. Also wouldn't hurt to do a bit more shadowing if you have time since you have 80 hours which isn't terrible but more is better. If you don't want to bother with more shadowing of a GP look into shadowing a few specialties for 10-20 hours each as that will show you have seen many aspects of the field.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied in late september
This is your biggest mistake! This is not just meant for you but in general I'd NEVER recommend anyone to do this. Always apply within 1 month the application cycle opens. Doesn't matter what your excuses are (has to take DAT, etc.), apply early ASAP. Work your schedule to where you have everything ready (including DAT scores, transcripts, personal statement, etc. ) to go within 1 month the application cycle opens and there should be no excuses. Sorry if i come off as harsh to you, but I've seen this mistakes made many times by applicants and it caused them another year of reapplying.

I actually graduate this May. This was another issue for me, wtf do I do once I graduate. The most likely path for me right now is probably to get a entry job somewhere in the biotech research field with my experience and in the mean time prepare for dental school.

But the idea of a masters is also on the table. Honestly not too sure if I want to fork out another 20k just for another piece of paper to put on the wall.
naw just find a job you will enjoy..it doesn't have to be related to dentistry.. a research position would be good as its another thing to add to your application

Definitely don’t do a masters, your GPA is excellent. I would recommend the research idea though, being a NC resident gives you the advantage of applying to ECU, and I can tell you they value research experience and it will look good in your app. You should have plenty of time to volunteer and shadow as well, but make sure you kill that DAT, even just getting your sections all above a 18 will be a big improvement. Not sure where you live now, but I know UNC has a good amount of research positions opening up, my own lab is gonna be looking for 1 or 2 research techs soon since I’m leaving for d school and the lead tech is going to grad school.

I agree with everyone else and I would probably redo your personal statement and ask a couple of people to review it to make sure there's no red flags.

Thank you guys for the advice! From what it looks like I will definitely be improving my DAT, shadowing, and volunteering hours and get someone to review my personal statement