No Interviews So Far...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giggle_bot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It's already mid-December and I have yet to receive a single interview from medical schools this cycle. I have already lost so much hope and have even signed up to take the MCAT again in April. I would really appreciate some feedback on how I can improve for next cycle, if I should still have hope for this cycle, and just needing some words of encouragement in general. This has been a difficult process and has been very hard for me. I made sure to apply to a wide-range of schools in all ranges, or at least I think I did. I tried to focus on fit mostly, but you tell me if I need to apply to different schools this second time around. I applied to majority of my schools by the end of August (many of them earlier by end of July), a handful in September, and 1-2 in early October. The ones I applied to later were places I wasn't going to get into anyway. I applied to 29 schools in total. I have received rejections from 8 of those schools. I think what is bothering me most is that I haven't even heard anything from my state schools yet (I am an Ohio resident). I am also afraid if I am in the situation where they don't even want to bother with rejecting me and I may never truly hear back from them. I just feel so discouraged. I have taken one gap year so far. Here are my stats and info about my ECs.

uGPA: 3.72
BCPM: 3.72
MCAT: 511

Clinical Experience - 680 hrs
Research - 1500 hrs
Shadowing - 150 hrs
Clinical Volunteering - 90 hrs
Other Volunteering - 190 hrs
Teaching/Tutoring - 395
Leadership Experiences - 945

I know my volunteering experiences are weak and a lot of that has to do with COVID-19. I have been working during my gap year to increase that. My leadership experience includes my work at my university's Student Government, working with a non-profit to recruit poll workers for the 2020 presidential election, and being a student orientation leader for first year students. My application demonstrated a strong interest in health policy and government work, hence my leadership experiences. My hobbies also included bird watching.

Here is the list of schools that I have yet to hear back from:
Albert Einstein
Cornell
Emory
George Washington
Harvard
Loyola
NYMC
Northwestern
OSU
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo
UColorado
UMichigan
UCincinnati
UPenn
VCU
WashU
Wright State
Yale

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man hope I can help. Current M4 student with tons of experience advising pre-meds on application strategy and application review. I also sat on my schools admissions committee. Feel free to send a DM and we can talk

Hello Everyone,

It's already mid-December and I have yet to receive a single interview from medical schools this cycle. I have already lost so much hope and have even signed up to take the MCAT again in April. I would really appreciate some feedback on how I can improve for next cycle, if I should still have hope for this cycle, and just needing some words of encouragement in general. This has been a difficult process and has been very hard for me. I made sure to apply to a wide-range of schools in all ranges, or at least I think I did. I tried to focus on fit mostly, but you tell me if I need to apply to different schools this second time around. I applied to majority of my schools by the end of August (many of them earlier by end of July), a handful in September, and 1-2 in early October. The ones I applied to later were places I wasn't going to get into anyway. I applied to 29 schools in total. I have received rejections from 8 of those schools. I think what is bothering me most is that I haven't even heard anything from my state schools yet (I am an Ohio resident). I am also afraid if I am in the situation where they don't even want to bother with rejecting me and I may never truly hear back from them. I just feel so discouraged. I have taken one gap year so far. Here are my stats and info about my ECs.

Research - 1500 hrs
Shadowing - 150 hrs
Teaching/Tutoring - 395

I know my volunteering experiences are weak and a lot of that has to do with COVID-19. I have been working during my gap year to increase that. My leadership experience includes my work at my university's Student Government, working with a non-profit to recruit poll workers for the 2020 presidential election, and being a student orientation leader for first year students. My application demonstrated a strong interest in health policy and government work, hence my leadership experiences. My hobbies also included bird watching.

Albert Einstein
Cornell
Emory
George Washington
Harvard
Loyola
NYMC
Northwestern
OSU
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo
UColorado
UMichigan
UCincinnati
UPenn
VCU
WashU
Wright State
Yale

A lot of donations on the list. You aimed way too high.

For starters, rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them.

And next time, have DO schools on your list.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is an extremely top heavy school list

Hello Everyone,

Research - 1500 hrs
Shadowing - 150 hrs
Teaching/Tutoring - 395

Albert Einstein
Cornell
Emory
George Washington
Harvard
Loyola
NYMC
Northwestern
OSU
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo
UColorado
UMichigan
UCincinnati
UPenn
VCU
WashU
Wright State
Yale

Don’t you have the exact same thread posted on here? (You do.) Why did you go that and why haven’t you bothered to read/respond to the other thread?

Reactions: 1 user