No interviews yet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm really worried. There's all this talk on SDN about interviews, and more recently about acceptances, and I still don't have an interview!! Should I be worried? Here's my info:

- 4.0 GPA from Princeton with a B.A. in Art History.
- 3.985 GPA from MIT with a B.S. in Bioengineering. I only got one A-, but it was in orgo; ouch!
- 12V 14P 14B T. I couldn't help the 12: I was born in Switzerland, so I speak French, Italian, and German fluently (plus Japanese from living one year there), so English is admittedly not my strong point. Hopefully the T in the writing sample will offset that.
- I supported myself as an EMT during college. Perhaps that was not clinical enough?
- My research has been in neuron regeneration for spinal cord injuries. I have some published papers. One in Nature, another in Science. I was the primary author in both. I also have some in other minor ones, like Neuron and Cell, but I wasn't the primary author there. Perhaps that's hurting me.
- I only have six letters of recommendation. But two of them are from Nobel Prize winners (Eric Kandel is one of them). Should I get more letters?
- I'm an older student though. It's just that I wanted to spend the last several years in the Red Cross. I was stationed in Afganistan refugee camps of all places!
- I'm very humble.

I wish I had more time somehow to improve my application right now, but I'm really busy helping out the NYC Mayor's office with healthcare management issues.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

P.S. Here's to all of us without 4.0s and 15s on our MCATs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha...

Good one Katie...
I laughed...I cried...

You're gonna fit in perfectly on SDN.

:p :p :p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

That was the funniest thing I have ever read on this site. Superb.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahahahah I was reading through that I was thinking "What in the world, you don't have an interview??" heh. Scared the crap out of me.

- BT

Katie- I feel you- my entire app is very similar, but I'm playing the game a little different. I was just at having brunch at my home in the Hamptons with the Deans from HMS, JHU and UPenn. We shot some breeze and after much begging the Hopkins guy offered me a full scholarship plus 20,000 a year. Perhaps big E (that's what we call Kandel) can talk to some people for you? --Trek

Trek,

I also know the Deans at HMS, Yale, and Columbia (I know Dr. Frantz very well: Andy and I go waaay back) but I didn't want to mention it because I didn't want to sound like I was bragging. Plus, I want to get in on my own merit, not because of the people I know.

Katie,
That was freaking awesome! Thanks for bringing some humor to these sometimes tense pages.

(And by the way, only a 12 in VR? How gauche. What's your favorite book, anyway? Harry Potter? Oh, bestill my heart: how juvenile.)

I actually did have a 4.0 GPA and a 40 on the MCAT,

then I woke up.

Whew!!!!!!!! Excuse me while I wipe the beads of sweat off my face. There was a moment when you had me. I was thinking, damn, if you have not interviewed or had a medical building named after you then you must have zero personality. Very witty. I needed that.

I wish I had more time somehow to improve my application right now, but I'm really busy helping out the NYC Mayor's office with healthcare management issues.

excuses, excuses, excuses.

katie, with a midset like that, you'll never get into med school!

:D :D :D :D

That was great! My face still hurts from laughing. At first I was thinking...is this chick for real? she needs serious help...

Good Job..for bringing some humor into this stressful time...... ;) ;) :rolleyes:

Katie:
There is just thing missing. You forgot to apply.