No interviews yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmleq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a US 4th year medical student aplying for derm this year. 246 step 1, ranked in middle of my class at a top 50 MD school, ive been told i have at least 2 excellent derm letters, 1 research paper submitted snd 1 case report submitted. I applied to 70 programs and have only heard back from 11 prelims so far. i applied everywhere but mainly northeast and midwest. i did 2 derm aways, so i should have interviews from them, but aside from 4 rejections i havent heard back from anyone. should i be worrird at this point? should i start callung programs

Members don't see this ad.

Im a US 4th year medical student aplying for derm this year. 246 step 1, ranked in middle of my class at a top 50 MD school, ive been told i have at least 2 excellent derm letters, 1 research paper submitted snd 1 case report submitted. I applied to 70 programs and have only heard back from 11 prelims so far. i applied everywhere but mainly northeast and midwest. i did 2 derm aways, so i should have interviews from them, but aside from 4 rejections i havent heard back from anyone. should i be worrird at this point? should i start callung programs

I've been told mid-Dec is the time to ask mentors to make calls if you are not happy with the number of interview invites at that point. Hang in there! This week and the next should be newsy ones.

I have only received an interview from one school that I didn't rotate at. Is anyone else having the same problem (not hearing from programs that are not your home school or somewhere you rotated)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there. As long as a posting SDN member gets an invite from each program sending out invites, it is probably documented in the interview thread. Probably fairly safe to assume.

Thus, it looks like only half of the programs have sent invites. My program is in NY, and I know we didn't send IIs yet, nor does it appear that other NY programs have other than downstate.

Give it a couple weeks until you start stressing (I know...easy for me to say).

Last edited:
I have only received an interview from one school that I didn't rotate at. Is anyone else having the same problem (not hearing from programs that are not your home school or somewhere you rotated)?

I am in the same predicament. Step scores both >260, good letters, and some research (though not as much as others I'm sure) and I only have interviews at 4 programs, 3 of which I rotated at. I'm basically freaking out. Maybe the competition is harder this year, plus schools are interviewing fewer people? Just a thought.

I am in the same predicament. Step scores both >260, good letters, and some research (though not as much as others I'm sure) and I only have interviews at 4 programs, 3 of which I rotated at. I'm basically freaking out. Maybe the competition is harder this year, plus schools are interviewing fewer people? Just a thought.

how many programs did you apply to?

I hear this year programs have more applicants than usual.

how many programs did you apply to?

I hear this year programs have more applicants than usual.

Only 60ish. Tried to apply only to places that I would actually go (southeast, midwest, west) but maybe I should have applied to more! Though I'm not sure this would have helped..

My med school has a large number of derm applicants this year though (10+) , which I'm sure doesn't help either.

How many invites should we have by now to be on track, assuming we applied to all ERAS programs?

Programs would still send out invites after their original sent-out dates, right?
6-8 invites by now?! That's a lot! Then a lot of us are not on track, or maybe I'm just speaking for myself...

Programs would still send out invites after their original sent-out dates, right?

I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone who went through this process in the past can let us know ??

Short answer: yes, they do.

My first invite was in October. My first interview was end of October. My last invite was first week of January. My last interview was beginning/middle of Feb.

Most invites came in right about now into beginning of Dec.

Edit: ok I went to the invite thread of my year to this date. At this point I had 7 offers. I got a total of 20 offers by the end (applied just over 80 total).

Hope that helps and doesn't stress.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Dral you have been very helpful...much appreciated!

I have also heard that there are more applicants this year and that the group as a whole is more competitive than in the past. Does anyone from this year already have 8+ offers? That seems like a lot from what I have been hearing, but it is definitely possible. Thanks!

I have also heard that there are more applicants this year and that the group as a whole is more competitive than in the past. Does anyone from this year already have 8+ offers? That seems like a lot from what I have been hearing, but it is definitely possible. Thanks!

I have 6 at this point...

I know a person who has 8 or maybe even more.

I had 3 interviews at this point, and ended up with 15. Hang in there. No seriously, hang in there. Eat some turkey; go into a food coma. Don't think about it this Thursday. And don't believe dumb blanket statements like "the crop is stronger this year." Silliness.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 3 interviews at this point, and ended up with 15. Hang in there. No seriously, hang in there. Eat some turkey; go into a food coma. Don't think about it this Thursday. And don't believe dumb blanket statements like "the crop is stronger this year." Silliness.

Thanks for giving us some hope :) During your app year, were this number of programs posted on the invite thread by this time, ~65 or so? Were you getting invites into December from programs that had sent out invites earlier in the cycle?

Happy Thanksgiving!

are we done until Monday ( im not expecting anything from west coast)? or Friday may still bring good news?

I know my PD/PC are off. I assume most are.

Try to relax over break. I just went through Dermpath app process, so I was reminded of the anxiety, but bust out your best mind over matter and get to focusing on relaxing. If you must stress, pretend your job is to stress, but you are on a 4 day vacation currently. No more stress until at least Monday.

I know my PD/PC are off. I assume most are.

Try to relax over break. I just went through Dermpath app process, so I was reminded of the anxiety, but bust out your best mind over matter and get to focusing on relaxing. If you must stress, pretend your job is to stress, but you are on a 4 day vacation currently. No more stress until at least Monday.

Thanks. Looking at last year's thread, there were no invitations until Tuesday after Thanksgiving. I'm taking a break until then.

Thanks for giving us some hope :) During your app year, were this number of programs posted on the invite thread by this time, ~65 or so? Were you getting invites into December from programs that had sent out invites earlier in the cycle?

Happy Thanksgiving!

I believe over half had sent out invites. Yes, into december. Yes, from programs that had sent out earlier invites. There seemed to be waves of invites from certain programs. unsure how they do it exactly. My program sends them all out at once.