No iv call.....any advise on what now!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pari stl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
nbde part 1, part 2, high toefl, avg Gpa, U.S. work experience as dental assistant.....and no iv call yet....
Anyone sailing in the same boat. The big question is "now what"!!!!!keep waiting, or aged, gpr, public health, 2 yr masters, post baccalaureate or few month Cde course in a school.....
All the hard work seems like -was good for nothing. Anyone who's walked the same route.

Members don't see this ad.

Pari: Well the irony is some people with even lesser experiences get in!!! What we have to understand here is everyone has Part 1, 2 , decent toefl score, what are things in your profile that are different that you are bringing to the table!! To begin with its not the experiences but the way you present them is what matters the most, because again there are alot of candidates who have DA exp here, your SOP, letters , that is what separates you from rest!! I have around 3 years worth of DA and Research Assistant exp here but then i know ppl with none of such experience and they got interview calls, i got none, reason there must be something in there profile that schools liked, mostly there application presentation was better!! what I would recommend is try volunteering in community dental clinics, also look for non dental volunteering!! Continue taking CE courses, make them realize one rejection does not stop your passion towards this field and things would work out for you Inshallah!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you ftd987 for your encouragement.......
That's exactly what I am confused with!!!! Should we keep continuing CDE , shadowing, assistant, volunteering....... And keep fingers crossed for another year or two......

....... OR do post baccalaureate or masters in endo, perio, prostho, ortho, pedo, dental materials, oral biology, bio materials....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any sure shot way to nail an interview.......

I guess before thinking about nailing an interview, one should try to get an interview! I havent had any interviews so wont be much of help here but as i said keep working, CE courses, DA exp, dental camps, volunteering in community clinics should help you!! As far as M.S in endo, perio, prostho, pedo etc is concerned, it is 10x more competitive to get in since ure competing with local DDS here and preference is given to them no question about it. You can look into M.S in oral biology since few schools do offer this course!!! Some go for MPH so its upto you!!!!

Make sure you have letters of recommendation from american dentists, because they do not really trust others

I dont believe they really look for american dentist letters. If u have it, it is good enough but not having it doesnt stop u from interviews..

Reactions: 1 user
I dont believe they really look for american dentist letters. If u have it, it is good enough but not having it doesnt stop u from interviews..
I was able to see my evaluation sheet from one of the interviews - you get a lot more points for an american dentist letter, so I know for sure about that

Reactions: 1 users
Part1,2, ibt106, more than 6 yrs of teaching experience, two American dentist recommendations, research experience of 1.5 yrs, lot of shadowing, volunteering, community work too..... Now please tell me what more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Application presentation!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Part1,2, ibt106, more than 6 yrs of teaching experience, two American dentist recommendations, research experience of 1.5 yrs, lot of shadowing, volunteering, community work too..... Now please tell me what more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any dentist work experience in a home country? GPA high/low? If nothing wrong there, try to change your looks

Any dentist work experience in a home country? GPA high/low? If nothing wrong there, try to change your looks
Lol
That's a life time project man ..... But thanks something new and never heard of before.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
On serious notes... Any senior in the forum please need advise badly....with almost 3500 international students applying to various programs and almost 400 seats... There must be many like me waiting for an Iv call and seeing all their friends getting admission calls "dr vnbde"..
Still awaiting other schools...... But can anyone suggest from education point of view a program that can definitely help building up the application for next year....

i think the recommendations matter most in usa. if there is ur husband wifeor brother studied earlier then its pretty easy to get into that school. or at least get any senior or friend to recommend ur name to admission committee

Lol
That's a life time project man ..... But thanks something new and never heard of before.
I am completely serious. Do you have an experience as a dentist? GPA is above average?
In regards to looks. Apart from obvious existence of racism in America, you should be well aware, that candidates are mostly from India. Even if the admission committee really likes your application they have to make a group diverse. Do you remember there were a lot of advise not to wear black suit for the interview, if you from Asia or Middle East? It is because it is really hard to remember a person in a sea of dark. Also you will be competing with candidates from the same country and indians have very high stats.
Another thing. Sometimes components of TOEFL need improvement, for example UCLA wants 25 for writing
I am positive that american or canadian references are important, because a paper from unknown person from another side of the globe is as good as a clean piece of paper
People advise professional services to write your personal statement and secondary essays, but I believe it is totally dishonest and now you need to swear on the application, that you wrote it yourself. But it is not dishonest to consult someone or ask them to proofread it, make comments. For example I am so modest, that my statement was no statement at all, my classmate gave me ideas about things I did not remember and I wrote it myself

Hi..

Completely convinced.... Jst wanna noe above average GPA wud b hw much???

Thank u

Disheartened mine is 3.1 Comprehensive nd Best Result 3.3..... unfortunate suppli I had in entire 4 year course ( pathology/ microbiology subject)
Part 1
Toefl. 105
Part 2 wil b appearing in this month
As an Associate dentist in 2 private clinics
2 US Observerships 1 month each
Volunteered as Associate dentist at Indian Army Core 6 months
8 months from nw employed at multispeciality hospital
2 Publications, articles in vernacular newspapers, lot of volunteer services
AHA credited BLS, ALL course
Waiting for acceptance for Boston preceptorship though it's for jst 1 month nd is worth USD 3500 on visitor visa - it's al preclinical...on patient handling jst observing rest of the hours apart from pre clinical exercises...

Do I have slightest of luck... though had applied last year... got call from none... I agree with last year application even thinking of an interview cal was lk living in a fantasy world... bt lk if nw I follow d above mentioned plan.. then??? Ani luck?

Nd yes additional question :

Can one avail volunteerism in US on visitor visa???

I think all of us should wait for california schools. Before that dont come to conclusions..

Are you a citizen here ? What's your visa status?

Nd yes additional question :

Can one avail volunteerism in US on visitor visa???
Yes you can...... Just google all clinics and hospitals near you and visit them personally.
Be prepared you will get many many many rejections before someone will say yes... And please present yourself as a very dedicated, focused and really really wanting to get into DDS and want to learn.
Even students here have to observe for some hours to make their resume so dentists do understand.

i am resident.....but I do believe it's not a prime consideration when an equally competent profile is compared....
You are wrong. If universities consider Out of state or in state you are, then of course they consider if you are a resident or not. If they see candidates with the same stats, they will choose a resident - less hassle with the visa and finances. And also remember they are all people and do not want to saturate their market with non residents

@oralcare123 : I am so disappointed to see that you are misguiding so many students and you are lowering the moral of so many students who are already feeling low. Just so you know universities see the whole profile and not just residency status. And few who do, they have those conditions listed as their eligibility criteria for example people who do not have Green Card cannot apply to Chicago. So get a clear picture of everything before stating your things as facts and pointing fingers on others and saying others are wrong.

Lastly, how on earth can you say that there is racism in America and if you have so much problem why you want to study in the United States.

Last edited:
@oralcare123 : I am so disappointed to see that you are misguiding so many students and you are lowering the moral of so many students who are already feeling low. Just so you know universities see the whole profile and not just residency status. And few who do, they have those conditions listed as their eligibility criteria for example people who do not have Green Card cannot apply to Chicago. So get a clear picture of everything before stating your things as facts and pointing fingers on others and saying others are wrong.

Lastly, how on earth can you say that there is racism in America and if you have so much problem why you want to study in the United States.
Sweetheart - on what cloud do you reside? Come back to earth. You should watch news more often. And why should not I have a problem with existence of a racism? This is my country after all.
I have no desire to misguide anyone, totally opposite - I am not afraid to talk about stuff, about which others, blushing, forget to mention.
There is such a thing as preference for the in state students. Some universities are famous for that. Do you think universities do not favor residents? I cannot guarantee that and find it very important to tell people, so they will make more effort to compensate for this type of a shortcoming, like take Part 2 and improve other stats.
What is the point to sweet-talk people who will after that think that they are fine and waste their time and money on useless waiting for a chance they never had in a first place? My advise, read more then just international student part of this forum, you may learn a lot

Oralcare123: U stated "....waste their time and money on useless waiting for a chance they never had in a first place?"

My questions to u:
1) Are you trying to get admitted or not?? and from how long??? Assuming u r also trying like many so if u think its such a waste of time and money, why r u trying?? Ur words are different than ur actions.

2) Who gave u the right to say if others have chance or not?? U r a human being not God, so just decide for urself.

I think if someone doesn't have anything positive to say, they should refrain themselves from saying negative things. Ur negativity might be affecting others without u even realizing that. Hope is something every human beings lives on; why r u trying so hard to kill it.

Anyways, this platform is all yours. U wanna reply and say 100 things, please go ahead and do so. As far as I am concerned, I don't want to be part of something that is not healthy. And All the best for your future endeavors.

I think you are very young and desperate, because intelligent adult would never say what you said. It is just so infantile, it makes me feel sorry for you.
I have an experience and good enough person to give an advice and warn people, so they would not waste their time and VERY HARD EARNED money. You were too fast to conclude all sorts of BS about me, when I said "waste time when there is no chances". Let me explain better, just for you. For example a person has a very low GPA, just Part 1 passed, crappy TOEFL result and no experience. Now tell me about their chances of acceptance? There are no chances, and it does not matter to how many universities this person applies to and how much money they spend. If they follow advise, they may get some work experience, pass part 2 and improve their TOEFL - they will get an interview at least, even with a low GPA. Following this advice will be more productive, then just sit and hopefully rely just on God.
This advise is for people who write like you - respect the grammar , it is not hard - computer has spelling corrector. Not only it is disrespectful to the reader, you will get used to do that and look unprofessional during your study or important interview

I have to jump into this conversation!!!! @oralcare123 : I do understand ur point of view but trust me apart from schools like TUFTS and UIC where they only take residents or Green Card holders, there is no reason to think that others schools prefer residents or GC`s too! When i came in this country I was also under the impression that yes being a resident gives u the edge but trust me when i say this, I have seen Non- GC`s and residents getting accepted alot more...alot more... so its ur profile, letters, diversity, SOP and most importantly luck that matters!!! To answer the second question, yes it sucks when u earn here and u have to apply schools spending thousands of dollars without any refunds or guarantees that ud get a interview. I know ppl who had part 1, 92 toefl, no US experience getting accepted into schools like UPENN, UOP and others so it all depends on whether u can tolerate waiting for a year, see others take chances, post there acceptance and there joys or take a chance cuz u never know..even i wudnt spend money on schools that i think wudnt consider my application worthy cuz i earn here and i know u end up saving nothing after bills, taxes and schools fee..So please both of relax..dnt ever get personal..dnt..i havent read the entire thread so not sure whats going on..but everyone has there own point of views,own ways of tackling n handling things, that does not mean we need personal arguments here!!!! Relax guys!!!

I have nothing, but the best intentions. I guess, I did not explain well enough. No, you do not have to be a resident, but if two candidates with similar stats are on the table the one with residency IN THE STATE will get an interview. I give you guys free insider information, it is not pretty sometimes, but it is useful. I have been in situations, when I did not know my efforts were useless. If I knew then what I know now, I would have done other things. I hope everyone knows now, that schools are forced to make their groups diverse by nationality? What does it mean? It means, that the competition in the largest represented group will be higher. Now, which country is represented the best? Make your own conclusions.
People, accepted with part 1 and 92 Toefl have other things to show and this is exactly what I am trying to point out. Get prepared and apply wisely for the sake of your sanity and a wellbeing of your families
And please, please iron your shirts for the interview

I agree!!! But as i said , if we dnt fall to a common ground that does not assure us to get personal and pass on remarks!!! Your reply makes sense! That being said @oralcare123 and @DrVNBDE kindly bury the hatchet and chill!!!! Everyones correct in there own school of though!!!!

Yes. I think this forum is to just share your opinion. So be cool and relax.. It is just a matter of time, patience and hard work..Just wait for the door to open up..i know it is stressful and we doubt if we will be able to make it. i think everyones life is different from each other. I might get an admission in just one chance but some might get after 5 years.. What ever God has for you it will be coming your way and no one can stop it. So bucke up ..

Last edited:
I agree :) Peace :bow: Not that my intentions were to hurt anyone but just want people to stay motivated coz this journey is not easy

@oralcare123 : Thank you for the compliment ;) Calling me young, desperate, and intelligent ..How do you know I have been accepted at schools :) Now please don't make any rude comments just for the sake of writing one. Try to be little compassionate, it goes long way. If you will keep insulting people (I read few other posts of yours) no one will loose anything but you. You calling me names means nothing to me. May be you are not realizing this, but you are loosing opportunity to make many good friends here.

Read attentively, it will help you to get to the university. Infantile, not intelligent. I am not calling names - it is not a sand box - I am responding to a post, whatever I feel at the moment, if you are not able to understand, it is not my problem. You think my comments are rude, I think yours are stupid, but it does not matter. Even though positive attitude plays a great role in the process, being realistic is a lot more important. I realized, that a lot of applicants are missing crucial knowledge and skills, nothing exceptionally difficult, as a result they are not chosen even for the interview. They get very disappointed, wasted time and money. I share information at no charge, to help them prepare better, because no amount of praying will make you prepare a perfect Class 2, if you do not know how

We can go on :poke: ...No point, will nt tk us anywhere...As others said Let's chill :bow:

Pari: Well the irony is some people with even lesser experiences get in!!! What we have to understand here is everyone has Part 1, 2 , decent toefl score, what are things in your profile that are different that you are bringing to the table!! To begin with its not the experiences but the way you present them is what matters the most, because again there are alot of candidates who have DA exp here, your SOP, letters , that is what separates you from rest!! I have around 3 years worth of DA and Research Assistant exp here but then i know ppl with none of such experience and they got interview calls, i got none, reason there must be something in there profile that schools liked, mostly there application presentation was better!! what I would recommend is try volunteering in community dental clinics, also look for non dental volunteering!! Continue taking CE courses, make them realize one rejection does not stop your passion towards this field and things would work out for you Inshallah!
Ftd987 during these tough three years how did you improve your profile in every caapid cycle? If I look at CE courses and preceptor programs at schools they are very expensive.... Is it useful spending that much money and time....or
Study for GRE and apply to MSD or masters . But then the next step gets even more confusing... What would be the scope of masters in oral biology/ DPH / dental materials / if lucky to get endodontics,perio,pedo,oral patho..... Do you have any plan B.

Agree, the devil could be in a small details. I would not advise to pay someone to write personal statement or anything else for you - it is a huge dishonesty, but get a consultation to make your resume look more professional, ask someone to proofread your personal statement

So, did you get any invites yet?

I think you are giving too much credit to these programs. I think sometimes people get calls out of either pure luck, or someone in the school has recommended them. I have part 2 and people say "You need more comm serv, research, etc", last year when I only had part 1 people said "ohh, its because you need part2." Iam starting to think that having someone on the inside is just as important as having part1.

My 2 cents - I cannot emphasize how important it is for applicants be it FTDs or conventional to reflect on their journeys as to why they want to do dentistry. It is your journey , your application needs to reflect that. Are scores, GPA, psychomotor skills, clinical experience, research, teaching experience important? YES, Absolutely!! Along with this a critical component is your Statement of Purpose. That statement can make or break you not only for getting invited for an interview but to earn a spot. As many people have said there are 1000's of applicants competing for fewer spots. What makes you different is your personal journey, you should be able to build that into your application- why did you choose dentistry, why are you pursuing it in a different country, what have you done to establish yourself as a competitive applicant. If your statement is filled with - I did this , I did that and now I want to come to the US to earn a license then you need to have a reason. Not just I have high scores and want to live here. You should have a reason other than that and your application should reflect that. If you have been rejected a number of times but you are persistent in your cause someone is going to notice it. Is a professional presentation of your SOP important , absolutely , but you have to write your own story. Do schools consider applicants who are residents of their states, volunteered at their school - a familiar face? Yes, they do. Does it mean they award all their spots to known applicants - No! They play their board, where do you fit in their board ? Create your niche, especially for non traditional students, narrow down your schools,visit them, volunteer , make a connection, show perseverance and passion. Believe me - nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough. You have to find your own way, and if there is none then make your own! That's what's its all about. If you just want to be in the crowd with high scores, experience and you want the schools to pick you. Well, Congratulations if you do get picked, if you are not one of the fortunate ones- pick them , choose them and
make it happen. I understand that this is a forum and people voice their frustrations . Earning a spot in dental school does not happen by luck or chance. The road is filled with opportunities meeting preparation and hard work. I really wanted to voice a genuine opinion so take it for what it is. Good luck!