laimyours

like my hat?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Pharmacist
What if my co-workers are pharmacists? Obviously I would have to work with a pharmacist in order for them to write me a LOR. Does anyone know if LORs from co-workers that are pharmacists are ok? I'm a little confused by this :confused:

kismet

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I think pharmacists are considered your "superiors", not your "co-workers" if you are a clerk or a tech. My boss wrote me a LOR and no schools complained. They are in the best position to evaluate with you if you work for them!

firefighter9015

It's not THAT kind of study hour...
10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Get those LORs from pharmacist. Those pull a lot of weight with the ADCOMs. Also as a another point, if you know a pharmacist that is an alumnus of the school you are applying to that would be great!

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
It's recommended to have a LOR from a pharmacist and one of you science professors.

I'm getting one from a preceptor for my top choice. How friggin sweet is that?!

OP
L

laimyours

like my hat?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Pharmacist
thanks, I was sort of confused by that. My dilemma is I don't really have any professors that I feel could write a GOOD letter of rec for me. I've just had each professor for a semester. But on the other side, I have like 8 pharmacists to write me an LOR. I guess i'll just apply to the schools that don't require one from a professor. :cool:

Luol Deng Fan

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
CHITOWN, IL
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Get those LORs from pharmacist. Those pull a lot of weight with the ADCOMs. Also as a another point, if you know a pharmacist that is an alumnus of the school you are applying to that would be great!
Would the pharmacist need to work with you to have any effect? one of my cousins is a pharmacist and I'm thinking of having him write me a LOR

lxapillpusher

Stressed Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Status
Pharmacy Student
Would the pharmacist need to work with you to have any effect? one of my cousins is a pharmacist and I'm thinking of having him write me a LOR
family members are not encouraged to write you a LOR. That's somewhat like cheating and they're bond to say something good. A family member isn't going to write you a bad LOR. I had two pharmacist write mine and it got me into pharmacy school.

OP
L

laimyours

like my hat?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Pharmacist
Actually sparta, yes. I had a friend who asked a professor he had for an entire year write him a LOR. He had gotten A's both semesters and felt he and the professor had a good relationship. The professor gave him the LOR and told him not to read it. Well, he read it, and it said awful things about him. It said he goofed around in class, and always showed up late. I don't know why the professor just didn't say "No". I don't think they would write anything like that about me, I just who I am.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
New York, New York
Status
Pharmacist
Actually sparta, yes. I had a friend who asked a professor he had for an entire year write him a LOR. He had gotten A's both semesters and felt he and the professor had a good relationship. The professor gave him the LOR and told him not to read it. Well, he read it, and it said awful things about him. It said he goofed around in class, and always showed up late. I don't know why the professor just didn't say "No". I don't think they would write anything like that about me, I just who I am.
Wow, that professor is an ***.

Now that I think about it, I hope my boss was in a good mood when he wrote mine. Hopefully he wrote it on one of his days off instead of like after 14 hours of hearing patient's bitching about medication prices.

My worst quality at work is probably that I am pretty much always 3-4 minutes late. Speaking of which, I better get going otherwise I am gonna be late.

Luol Deng Fan

10+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
CHITOWN, IL
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
family members are not encouraged to write you a LOR. That's somewhat like cheating and they're bond to say something good. A family member isn't going to write you a bad LOR. I had two pharmacist write mine and it got me into pharmacy school.
Yeah but what if they never mention that they are family. Is it cool then?

AngelaCL

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yeah but what if they never mention that they are family. Is it cool then?
How would they say they know you, your work ethic, etc then? It makes much more sense to have someone that has actually worked with you. Otherwise, what do they say? "AngelaCL seems nice. She is probably nice to customers. She told me her grades and she seems smart too. I bet she is good at her job, though I don't really know."

OP
L

laimyours

like my hat?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Pharmacist
To have a family member write your LOR is very dishonest. If they clearly state no LORs from family members you shouldn't even consider it. Not only is it morally wrong, what if they did find out? My friends co-worker had a professor write his LOR that he never even took a class from. The addmissions office noticed it and withdrew his application for that year.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
Is it even possible to get a negative letter of recommendation? I mean, if you know you were going to get a negative LOR, why would you even ask that person for one?
Yeah, sometimes people will recommend someone "with reservations".