No medical research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiologyology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting school soon, and I want to start off on the right foot.

Will I have trouble finding good research projects if my only research experience is from engineering departments?

I've shadowed a clinical medical research project to get my feet wet, but I'm wondering if there is any training for lab techniques for basic science research. If you start as an assistant, is there usually a good amount of training to get the hang of the techniques? I've just read about a few protein purification and other techniques through biochemistry text books, but never actually utilized them. I know it will be tough to initially find a good project to work on, but I'm excited to get started!

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you mean starting medical school soon:

It won't be hard to find research. Schools understand you have to have it for some residencies and always let you know about opportunities (especially summer opportunities). I picked a school that was more patient centered care than research oriented when I had the choice, and I'm really glad I did now bc I went out to some of the physicians at our hospital and they have tons of projects they need help on. If you notice that there aren't many that your school is offering, it's up to you to actively seek it out. You want to do clinical over bench research in my opinion bc they usually publish faster, and also a lot is take home (write up articles, reviews, case reports, etc). These are taught a little at my school but honestly it might just be better to look up different journal articles and understand how it's set up and what they consist of. Feel free to pm me if you want. Good luck!