No more "ER"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it was to be expected...

but the show ended for me years ago, when hathaway/ross/green/lewis/carter slowly phased out.

i love TNT for showing those reruns :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
For me it really jumped the shark when carter left. He was supposed to come back for some arc guest spots but it never really happened. He was only in one episode. The central characters that have left (greene, hathoway, ross) were what made the stories interesting.

seeing that one bald ginger dude get his arm ripped off my the helicopter was pretty sweet. didn't the copter come back to finish the job too like later on?

I stopped watching when I saw Darlene from Rosanne on there. But recently picked it up again because nothing was new. Almost disappointing.

seeing that one bald ginger dude get his arm ripped off my the helicopter was pretty sweet. didn't the copter come back to finish the job too like later on?
That was when the series jumped the shark for me. I didn't watch it all that much, but I loved that character. The writers couldn't limit his comeuppance to losing his profession. No, they came up with a silly modern Moby Dick to put him down for good. :mad:

can we talk about "jumping the shark?" Where did this expression come from and exactly what does it mean? Gone off the rails?

can we talk about "jumping the shark?" Where did this expression come from and exactly what does it mean? Gone off the rails?

here you go

The Moby Dick storyline referenced by RxnMan sounds like a good example of this!!!!

Myself, I only watched like 3 episodes of ER: 1) when Carter almost died and his attending had to do like open cardiac massage, Lucy diagnosed herself with PE like a good med student and died 2) When George Clooney left 3) when some dude was supposed to be intubated but he might not get off the vent

Maybe now they can focus on shows like Nip/Tuck, where those in the specialty really are living it up

nip_tuck_4_5.jpg

never watched it. I prefer my completely unrealistic medical shows to be humurous like Scrubs, house, and greys anatomy

From all knowing Wikipedia which says it better than me:

The term jumping the shark alludes to a specific scene in a 1977 episode of the TV series Happy Days when the popular character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli literally jumps over a shark while water skiing. The scene was so preposterous that many believed it to be an ill-conceived attempt at reviving the declining ratings of the flagging show. The phrase has become a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote the point at which the characters or plot of a TV series veer into a ridiculous, out-of-the-ordinary storyline. Such a show is typically deemed to have passed its peak. Once a show has "jumped the shark" fans sense a noticeable decline in quality or feel the show has undergone too many changes to retain its original appeal

Members don't see this ad :)
From all knowing Wikipedia which says it better than me:

The term jumping the shark alludes to a specific scene in a 1977 episode of the TV series Happy Days when the popular character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli literally jumps over a shark while water skiing. The scene was so preposterous that many believed it to be an ill-conceived attempt at reviving the declining ratings of the flagging show. The phrase has become a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote the point at which the characters or plot of a TV series veer into a ridiculous, out-of-the-ordinary storyline. Such a show is typically deemed to have passed its peak. Once a show has "jumped the shark" fans sense a noticeable decline in quality or feel the show has undergone too many changes to retain its original appeal

Damn I'm old. I actually remember that episode... and not in reruns.

The term jumping the shark alludes to a specific scene in a 1977 episode of the TV series Happy Days when the popular character Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli literally jumps over a shark while water skiing. The scene was so preposterous that many believed it to be an ill-conceived attempt at reviving the declining ratings of the flagging show. The phrase has become a colloquialism used by U.S. TV critics and fans to denote the point at which the characters or plot of a TV series veer into a ridiculous, out-of-the-ordinary storyline.
Just to add to this, Da Fonz was water skiing in a lake, so it must have been one of those particularly virulent fresh water sharks.

Damn I'm old. I actually remember that episode... and not in reruns.
I'm with you. I remember watching Joannie Loves Chachi as well, one of the earliest examples of a spin-off I know of. And a great example of why they are awful.

Jumping the shark? Is that kind of like resuscitating a deer in the back of a truck outside the ED?

Remember it? Hell, I have every season on DVD as it's coming out so far! I would not doubt that Jeff698 and DocB and maybe southerndoc do, too.

I'm still a poor resident so I don't have the DVDs...yet. :)

I remember the show from the original run, too. It was one of the reasons I became a paramedic.

Take care,
Jeff

ER started to lose its appeal for me after Hathaway, Ross, Greene and Carter left as well. I think this is because the show shifted almost completely toward the soap opera style of mass-produced garbage and did not focus on the medical story lines.

House is unfortunately heading down the same path. I like the medical mysteries and figuring out the problem (at least I did in Seasons 1&2), not the 90 second transition to Oh yeah we need to reveal the diagnosis before wrapping up the personal drama between characters. If you had an idea about medicine, you could at least see the diagnosis coming if you looked closely enough in the first few seasons. Now, they are just pulling out stops that are ridiculous.

Jumping the shark? Is that kind of like resuscitating a deer in the back of a truck outside the ED?

LOL. Indeed Grays Anatomy has become exceedingly ridiculous.

And wait a minute...why doesn't anyone remember Benton from ER? He made that show.

There was a surgical resident, Gant, on ER with Carter that killed himself by jumping in front of one of the El Cars. That ended his stint on that show but apparently he couldn't give up medicine because he is Foreman on House now.

Can anyone get used to seeing Kumar/Taj (from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and Van Wilder) as an extremely intelligent doctor? Every time I see him I think of his other roles and can't take it seriously.

depends if you saw "the namesake" before seeing him on house. That movie certainly breaks the typcasting.

There was a surgical resident, Gant, on ER with Carter that killed himself by jumping in front of one of the El Cars. That ended his stint on that show but apparently he couldn't give up medicine because he is Foreman on House now.

Can anyone get used to seeing Kumar/Taj (from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and Van Wilder) as an extremely intelligent doctor? Every time I see him I think of his other roles and can't take it seriously.
That was a cool sceen. The team in the ER got this critical trauma train vs. ped who had facial injuries and was unrecognizable. Gant was supposed to be responding to the trauma alert so they kept paging him and talking about how irresponsible he was. Someome eventually fished the beeping pager out of the patient's pocket and figured out that the dead patient was the missing resident.

LOL. Indeed Grays Anatomy has become exceedingly ridiculous.

And wait a minute...why doesn't anyone remember Benton from ER? He made that show.

He was also an incredibly self righteous a$$ but at least he had a human side that came out more often then Romano. I think the worst casting decision they made was letting Dr Louis go in season 3 and again the other year.

It WAS an amazing show when Carter/Greene/Benton/Hathaway/Ross/Romano were on due to the great writing. The new stock characters are boring.

He was also an incredibly self righteous a$$ but at least he had a human side that came out more often then Romano. I think the worst casting decision they made was letting Dr Louis go in season 3 and again the other year.
I liked that episode when Romano signed to Benton's son to "take care of your dad."