No more hope ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Reading SDN forum for awhile and finally I'm a member of the forum. Hopefully everyone welcome me to the board :).

Here is my story. I applied only one school and got denial. There was a little hope when I decied to apply to this school because of my GPA 3.5 (science 3.33), three good letter recommendations (2 doctors, 1 professor), volunteer in the community for 2 years and instate application. The application was put on hold for the Fall grade. Then I failed 1 class which is not prepharm class, it's a higher level of chemistry. I do not blame anyone for that. When I realized that I am going to fail, it's too late to drop or change to Pass and Fail time.
My question now is does anyone get super lucky for interview invitation after being denial?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, no. Denial is denial.

Why would you apply to one school anyway? Putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

Hello all,

Reading SDN forum for awhile and finally I'm a member of the forum. Hopefully everyone welcome me to the board :).

Here is my story. I applied only one school and got denial. There was a little hope when I decied to apply to this school because of my GPA 3.5 (science 3.33), three good letter recommendations (2 doctors, 1 professor), volunteer in the community for 2 years and instate application. The application was put on hold for the Fall grade. Then I failed 1 class which is not prepharm class, it's a higher level of chemistry. I do not blame anyone for that. When I realized that I am going to fail, it's too late to drop or change to Pass and Fail time.
My question now is does anyone get super lucky for interview invitation after being denial?

Sorry, maybe it's from me not eating breakfast but I'm having a tough time putting together a clear mental timeline of what you're describing.

Last year
Applied, denied

This year
Applied, put on hold for Fall grades, failed a class in the Fall?

Misc
volunteer, letter of recs, GPA apply to both years

Is this what you're describing? So you want to know if you still have a chance for the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Ok let me rephrase this since the wording is kind of tricky.

You're saying you applied to only one school as an in-state resident and got rejected, and you're asking if anyone gets an interview invite even after failing one class? I'm sure there are some people at some schools who are invited to interviews even when that is the case, but you have to consider that the schools will send interview invites to top ___ applicants and not invite the others. So if you happen to be in that top ___ even after that one class, then you can get an interview invite.

Seemed to me like he was asking if anyone gets an interview to the school after getting rejected from it.

Haha, no. Denial is denial.

Why would you apply to one school anyway? Putting all your eggs in one basket is never a good idea.

Because I thought my application ....good enough for that school :).

Without significant change in your application from the last cycle, why would they conclude anything different this year?

Oh, this is my 1st time applying. Another thing is all my chem classes were B and higher and I haven't repeated, withdrawn any courses in entire of my college years. I really think my failed class that hold me back. The worse thing is this class only offer once/year so I can't retake it before 2011 application cycle. It sounds like the end of my pharmacy dream. I really regreted my studing last semester. But, it's too late.

Oh, this is my 1st time applying. Another thing is all my chem classes were B and higher and I haven't repeated, withdrawn any courses in entire of my college years. I really think my failed class that hold me back. The worse thing is this class only offer once/year so I can't retake it before 2011 application cycle. It sounds like the end of my pharmacy dream. I really regreted my studing last semester. But, it's too late.

If you have been rejected, you will never get an interview in this application cycle.

Are you sure it was your failed class that got you rejected and not the personal statement? Lol
On a nicer note, go ahead and retake the class next fall to still make it into 2011 application cycle. You still have a chance.

I applied to a school last year and got denied (didn't even get invited for an interview). This year I applied again and I was invited for an interview. BUT, I increased my GPA, did research and applied for grad school to remain an active student until it was time to apply this year. If nothing much has changed since the last time you applied, I'm not sure they would invite you for an interview. You never know... We'll see what happens!

Are you sure it was your failed class that got you rejected and not the personal statement? Lol
On a nicer note, go ahead and retake the class next fall to still make it into 2011 application cycle. You still have a chance.

I don't think my personal statement was bad though. Why am I possitive about it? Ok, my friend and I both applied the same school, submited the appls the same time and attending the same university. My GPA was higher than her. She got rejected letter in the end of November and I got a letter holding for the Fall grade. Then after I submited my Fall grade, I got bad news :(. I still don't understand why the school did not give me a chance to explain my bad grade since I took 5 classes (1 F, 1 B, 1 A- and 2 A).
Anyways, it's over this year. I am looking forward to apply again next year and it will be the same school and the only school I want to go.

Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some RX Schools do give interviews more often to re-applicants, because of persistence. Thing is, you have to show for some marked improvement. Or, in my and a whole lot other cases, get a degree instead of the usual 2 year pre-req setup.

I applied, got rejected my first time (too many pre-reqs in progress)
Second time, interview -> waitlist -> accepted

I was preparing for round 3 of apps too. (I only applied to 4 schools)

I still don't understand why the school did not give me a chance to explain my bad grade since I took 5 classes (1 F, 1 B, 1 A- and 2 A).

because they probably had plenty of candidates without any F's on their records, next to whom you do not compare favorably regardless of what your explanation might be. why gamble when they don't have to?

Have you considered applying to any other schools... it may be a long shot this late but there are quite a few schools still open for applications until march first.

Denial is denial.

You're right.
I should move on, learn from my mistake, retake that class and reapply next year . I am expecting my BS in 2011 so hopefully I have more chance to get the interview.

Thanks guys for all the supports.

Go SDN :) ! I love this forum.

You should switch your name to Success (make sure you don't misspell that) or something positive since your failures seem to be self- imposed. Everything is possible with the right disposition.

I had a fail on my transcript that was not a pre req class and I have some interviews. I think you need to rethink your strategy and maybe apply for many schools instead of just one if its really important to you that you take this next step.

I know some people really care where they go and then there are people like me that with my "ok" gpa and mediocre pcat I just want to get in to any school and if more then one accepts me then I can be choosey and pick which one, but its more important to me to just take this next step in my life! So I think you have a chance next cycle ( maybe this one if you can catch march deadlines) you just need to broaden your scope of schools

Hi guys,

The more I read my post's replies, I feel so close to people in here. I definitely will try again next year. I rememberred that when I brought a rejection letter to one of my recommendators, he gave me a hug and said "if this is your dream, the road will be never end". My family, my recommendators, and now my SDN's friends, all of you give me so much loves and energies to stand up as well as to keep my dream still for the next application cycle.

Love you all !

Hello all,

Just out of curiosity which class did you fail? Was it physical chemistry?

Yes, how do you know ? That was a good guess though.

I think most people agree that it's the hardest undergrad chemistry course. I tutor chem at my school and that class tends to go from about 15 to about 5 by the end of the semester.

P-chem makes me sad. I got a C in it. Bleh.

Try again next year! And I definitely agree with everyone else, don't just apply to one school! If it is your passion you definitely need to open your eyes to more possibilities and different schools!

Hello all,

Well there's your problem.

Weird, even with your failed grade you got a 2.94 gpa for that semester which shouldn't drastically lower your ~3.6 too much. I hope your personal statement was written a lot better than what we've been led to believe here. Did you have a decent PCAT? Better luck next year!

Weird, even with your failed grade you got a 2.94 gpa for that semester which shouldn't drastically lower your ~3.6 too much. I hope your personal statement was written a lot better than what we've been led to believe here. Did you have a decent PCAT? Better luck next year!

My GPA did not drop that much though. I think the F which hold me back and especially that was a Chem class.