No Nucleophiles in E1 Reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

johnwandering

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't believe I didn't notice until now...

So:

1.) SN2
polar aprotic solvent
Decently strong nucleophile
Low temperature
NOT Acidic/Basic

2.) SN2
Polar protic solvent
weak nucleophile
Low Temperature
NOT Acidic/Basic

3.) E2
Nonpolar nonprotic solvent (examples?)
Very Strong Nucleophile
High Temperature
Basic Conditions

4.) E1
Polar Protic Solvent
No Nucleophile
High Temperature
Acidic Conditions




I was wondering if these were correct (especially the E1). E1 just seems to be SN1 but no nucleophile, higher T, and more acidic.
Also, I assumed a polar protic solvent because the condition is supposed to be acidic?
 
Last edited:
I can't believe I didn't notice until now...

So:

1.) SN2
polar aprotic solvent
Decently strong nucleophile
Low temperature
NOT Acidic/Basic

2.) SN2
Polar protic solvent
weak nucleophile
Low Temperature
NOT Acidic/Basic

3.) E2
Nonpolar nonprotic solvent (examples?)
Very Strong Nucleophile
High Temperature
Basic Conditions

4.) E1
Polar Protic Solvent
No Nucleophile
High Temperature
Acidic Conditions




I was wondering if these were correct (especially the E1). E1 just seems to be SN1 but no nucleophile, higher T, and more acidic.
Also, I assumed a polar protic solvent because the condition is supposed to be acidic?

Yeah these look about right (though I think you meant SN1 for #2).

As far as E1 is concerned, higher temps always favor the elimination reactions. From what I recall, E1 really doesn't take place too often, and is usually just a (minor) competing reaction with SN1. About the only time I recall a significant amount of E1 occurring was when a secondary or tertiary alcohol is treated with sulfuric acid. The bisulfate byproduct is a terrible nucleophile, and the protonated alcohol ends up undergoing an E1 reaction (HSO4- steals a proton, thus regenerating the catalyst) to form an alkene.

And the polar protic solvent is preferred to help stabilize the carbocation intermediate.