No ophtho department?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fizzle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my school doesn't offer an ophtho rotation, then exactly how should I prepare for this? Is an away rotation pretty much mandatory in this case, or are there other options, such as doing an ophtho subspecialty at my school?

Members don't see this ad.

do they have an ophtho department/residency, just no ready-made rotation, or do they not even have an ophtho department?

do they have an ophtho department/residency, just no ready-made rotation, or do they not even have an ophtho department?

There is an ophtho department, but no rotation. I guess I could try to get involved with the department, but without an actual rotation, I'm not sure what else I need to do. Isn't an ophthalmology rotation pretty much required to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get involved with you home school department. You talk to the student affairs office to set-up a rotation. An away rotation would be good as well.

I'm sure this issue has come up before, especially if other years have matched into ophthalmology. Talk to the student affairs office to see how other matched applicants from your school was successful.

There is an ophtho department, but no rotation. I guess I could try to get involved with the department, but without an actual rotation, I'm not sure what else I need to do. Isn't an ophthalmology rotation pretty much required to apply?

I didn't have an ophthalmology residency program at my medical school, there was however a retina-vitreous group of 7 that practiced and were in the university hospital. I basically just did a 2 week "observership" with them during my 3rd year, and then from there did some clinical research (chart reviews) for an ARVO project during my fourth year. Then i pretty much did away electives at two programs in NYC (where i wanted to end up). I matched into ophtho and it never even came up on interviews about how my school had no program or formal ophtho rotation.