No organic lab done yet..does DAT require it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I want to take the DAT this summer but I have not taken any Organi labs yet. Does the DAT require any info learnt in the labs for these classes? Just curious to know!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak from experience, My dat test had 1 lab question, but it was answerable by just studying Kaplan blue book organic lab chapter. It was a very basic question.

Let me tell you something, orgo lab is a PAIN in the ass. I mean I loved orgo class, but the lab was just unenjoyable. In order to get the right grades, your products had to be above 85-90% pure. Out of like 30 students in the lab, I think the best one was like 79% pure and that was like "OMG HOW DID U GET IT THAT PURE"... cause most of us would be in the 40s lol..... Disgusting time, I hated every minute of it.... If they wouldn't have curved it, I woulda ended up with like a 2.5

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure you do..
Guide reads "Laboratory - basic techniques, equipment, error analysis, safety, and data analysis."

Granted, I havent taken the DAT, so I dont know the occurrence of the questions, but I suppose it would help. It wouldnt be a big portion at all in the scope of things though, I suppose.

Good ol' Chad. I didn't know about these videos. I see they've recently gone to subscription but the older o-chems are still available. I'd consider a subscription even. They'd make for great review before some sort of big test. Chad can pack an auditorium for hours with his reviews.

(I have no relation to Chad. I've just been to his reviews and they're extremely helpful.)

I agree with whoever said Chad videos are good. If I knew about it, I am sure I could have done much better on my DAT.

Maybe when the truncated DAT-focused review comes out someone who has sat the DAT can check it out and offer opinion of its value.