no organic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that med schools wont even consider your application if organic chem isnt completed?
Thanks
Nev

Members don't see this ad.

If you are planning on completing it by the time you start medical school, it maybe fine. However, it is one of the pre-reqs and they may prefer to see that you have taken it before applying.

i dont see how you can do decent enough on the MCRAP w/o orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got an ave score on the mcat without biochem, orgo, anatomy, physi

nev said:
Is it true that med schools wont even consider your application if organic chem isnt completed?
Thanks
Nev

Through DMU's Early Acceptance Program you can secure a seat as early as your soph. year...provided that before matriculation you complete all pre-reqs/graduate/get at least a 25 on the MCAT.

I have this wierd question....is it possible to take organic chem and genetics through correspondence?
Thanks
Nev

nev said:
I have this wierd question....is it possible to take organic chem and genetics through correspondence?
Thanks
Nev

yes but not labs

Can you please tell me any sources?
Thanks
Nev

byu is a great one to start with. low cost, good program.

I would think that not having orgo by app time might be against you, and for some unknown reason is considered to be one of the key science courses that dictates your future success (the pre-med weed out course :mad: ) Not having it may also make MCAT harder. But as long if you have good gen chem grades when applying, it will probably just make your acceptance conditional based on completing the required courses before matriculating. And, while many disagree I thought it was a great course (at least the 2nd time around) :laugh:

Basically there is no formula that will get you into medschool except getting A's and B's in sci classes, getting the highest MCAT score (25 + I'd say) and having good ec's and lors. If the package is good, one class not completed yet won't make a bit of difference.

and as for online courses, yep, BYU has cheap micro, genetics, physio courses (no labs of course). UC Berkeley (my alma mater-go bears!) also has distance ed genetics, biochem, immuno, physio, and stats http://explore.berkeley.edu/UCExt/default.asp

You could also try the California junior college system which offers online classes for cheap especially if you are a Ca resident, but are all lower div.
http://www.cvc.edu/

There's a distance learning website at http://www.gnacademy.org/

and Oklahoma independent study has some pretty cheap classes
http://isd.ou.edu/

I took a lot of ind. study classes while working and loved them, plus they were cheaper than taking classes in state at the univ.

espbeliever said:
i got an ave score on the mcat without biochem, orgo, anatomy, physi

Wow, the average on the MCAT is a 24; congrats on your superb score!!!!

Buckeye(OH) said:
Wow, the average on the MCAT is a 24; congrats on your superb score!!!!

so "ave" = "superb" ???

ok while you are riding my back side, you may note that i did not imply my score was breath taking, rather that you can get an ave score without the basic classes as you had said you couldnt get a decent score, you jerk.
:thumbdown:

and while you may be a gunner wanting a score of 500 on the mcat, my mcat score was high enough to get acceptances to more than one school which i find to be a "decent" run.

espbeliever said:
so "ave" = "superb" ???

ok while you are riding my back side, you may note that i did not imply my score was breath taking, rather that you can get an ave score without the basic classes as you had said you couldnt get a decent score, you jerk.
:thumbdown:

and while you may be a gunner wanting a score of 500 on the mcat, my mcat score was high enough to get acceptances to more than one school which i find to be a "decent" run.

Who settles for decent?

Oh man, he brought out the name calling :sleep:

BrettBatchelor said:
Out of the four classes you listed that you didn't have only one is pre-req and tested on the MCAT according to AAMC.

gee we are getting all anal now arent we? thats ok, we were only talking about organic, so just forget i said anything about those other classes so you can feel better at night, and my post remains valid.

;)

nev said:
Can you please tell me any sources?
Thanks
Nev

I only add this because the info about BYU's program was given without the caveat... the lab is required by medical schools. Some school's let you go back and "just" take the lab (after taking the lecture portion) but some will make you take all of it to take the lab.

Interestingly, Touro seems to allow 4 units of Biochem to substitute for 4 units of Organic... so not everyone "has" to take Ochem II.

I took Ochem II, but not until after the MCATs (and I scored better than "average"). Personally, with good study books, you can overcome the handicap. I didn't have an opportunity to take Ochem II before the MCATs... and to wait would have cost me an entire year in the application process. With an acceptance under my belt, i'm very pleased to have made that decision.

so is it possible for me to actyually convince my junior college in letting me do only the lab for the organic chem course i take online or by distance education?

nev said:
Thanks
Nev

At my old school, the Organic labs are offered seperately from the lectures. This is done to accomodate allied health students who do not need a lab integrated into the lecture material. Many get the biological chem background they need when they take Biochem later on.

As far as genetics goes, we had 3 distinct courses, 2 of which have formal labs. The other has a discussion period where you work crosses and drill the meiosis/mitosis steps.....each is intended for ppl with different competency needs. I took an Animal Genetics course b/c it had a lab with it.

Check into what your school has to offer, or if you already have, check into other schools in your area. They might have some options that would save you from taking correspodence courses, which I tried once and didn't like too much. Hope this helps...

nev said:
Thanks
Nev

No. Prerequisites must be completed prior to matriculation, not prior to admission. Just let them know that you plan on taking it and when.