no pcat required?

Started by lsexie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lsexie

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
will this reduce my chances if it says no pcat because they will weigh heavily on my gpa, extracurricular and pharmacy experience (i do not have a very competitive track of pharmacy experience)? or should i apply to those that use pcat if i am believe i will do better
 
You've sort of answered your own question. Not having a great PCAT to complement an average or below-average GPA hurts you for non-PCAT schools. I fell into this category. Conversely, non-PCAT schools won't penalize you for mediocre to poor PCAT scores if you have an average GPA or stellar GPA. A student is sort of in trouble with a sub-60 PCAT composite and sub-3.0 GPA regardless making that situation more of an issue with the total package as opposed to either GPA or PCAT.

You still should take the PCAT regardless as you wouldn't limit your school options to non-PCAT schools. More schools require the PCAT with every passing admissions cycle.
 
I don't need to send in a PCAT score to schools that don't require it right? If it isn't going to benefit me then I rather not risk getting a low score and hurting me.
 
I don't need to send in a PCAT score to schools that don't require it right? If it isn't going to benefit me then I rather not risk getting a low score and hurting me.

Nope, and those non-PCAT schools would most likely discard any scores you do send anyway. As I mentioned earlier, it's still advisable to take the PCAT for those many PCAT schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What I have felt though is that if you take PCAT and send it to the Univ that does not require it, they will keep that PCAT score at the bottom of your file, and I believe that they count.

The people looking at your papers would look at PCAT and might change their mind. It's better to avoid sending PCAT scores to Non-PCAT schools (unless you did well and want to show what u can do, if given chance). And that will be my suggestion...

Dhanyabad!!!
 
i think my question is sort of like should i apply to non pcat schools if my gpa is average? i mean since they dont use pcat, that means gpa counts a whole lot right?