no peds chair/department?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gclax30

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering... many of the peds programs I've been looking into require a letter from the chair of your home peds department and/or one from a faculty member with whom you have rotated. I attend a tiny DO school and we really don't have "home" departments or chairs for anything other than stinky family med. And I would rather not waste my time during 4th year doing our awful peds rotation here when I could be getting experience at other bigger and better places. But it seems that I won't have the required letters for these programs when I apply next year. Any advice??? :(

Members don't see this ad.

This is actually not an uncommon problem. Peds programs are quite aware of this so you'd be surprised how understanding many programs are when you explain things. Many programs don't require Chair letters for this reason. For programs that do require this letter or a faculty letter, contact the programs and see what they suggest. They may waive the requirement or request another letter. Also, doing an away, like you said, will be helpful in acquiring the necessary letter.

Good luck to you!