No periodic table provided for chemistry section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudecoolname

words under my username
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently found out that there was no periodic table provided on the pcat for the chem. section.

For those who have taken the test, what would you suggest as far as memorizing certain aspects of the periodic table? Obviously we wouldn't need to memorize the entire thing.

The best info on this that i have found was this quote from another thread:

When we say the periodic table isn't needed, it means they basically provide you with what you need to solve an equation. For example, a problem may read like this:

If 20 g of NaOH were dissolved in 500 mL of solution, what would be the molarity of the NaOH in this solution?

Then they will give you the information that you could obtain from the periodic table; such as, AW's: Na= 23, H= 1, O= 16

If I was you, I would learn to solve any equations in the kaplan or dr collins study guide. Any could appear on the test.

Of course some basic knowledge about the periodic table is needed. For example, which is more electronegative: Na or F? The obvious answer is F.

Members don't see this ad.

Know basic trends... where more electronegative elements are, for instance. Know what each column is... like halogens, noble gases, etc. Everything else they give you in the question.

You need to memorize the charges of common polyatomic/monoatomic ions and most common oxidation states for alkali/alkaline earths, as well as common non-metals.

radii, ionization energies, electronegativities
periodic_trends.jpg