(No) Pharmacy Experience???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

szetok

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been actively trying to find pharmacy experience for quite some time now and have not been that successful. I'm trying to apply in June but that seems unlikely at this rate... But I have been working at a clinic for about 1.5 years already; will this compensate for it or make up for it? What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I've been actively trying to find pharmacy experience for quite some time now and have not been that successful. I'm trying to apply in June but that seems unlikely at this rate... But I have been working at a clinic for about 1.5 years already; will this compensate for it or make up for it? What do you guys think?

Thank you!

You are fine. You don't need pharmacy experience to get into pharm school, as long as you have really solid GPAs. It would be better if you have pharmacy experience + a LOR from a pharmacist, but they are not mandatory. Good luck with your applications :)

Thank you! My cumulative gpa is currently 3.82 and my science is 3.86... I'm hoping that it'll offset my lack of pharmacy experience... haha.

Some schools do require an LOR from a pharmacist, although it's not the norm. Research your schools of choice. 1.5 years at a clinic should give you something substantial to say on your personal statement. Just make sure you research so you're not caught on the interview if they ask you something about the field of pharmacy, and be sure you can answer the question "why pharmacy" compellingly. I would always suggest to an incoming student to make sure you truly understand the field - the best way is experience. If you can't find a job or volunteer position, try calling Wags & ask to shadow. Good luck.