ChrisEM

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status
Hi all
For those of us who have gotten no phone calls, what does this mean for us? Do the majority of people who get a residency spot get atleast one phone call or personal email?

This past season I applied to 30 and got interviews at 12. Not quite as strong of a response as I've read others have had, but I thought ok. I went to all 12, but haven't heard a thing except for a couple of mass emails and a generic letter.

For the current residents out there who were in my position, how tough of a shape am I in?

willlynilly

10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
the problem with posts about numbers/phone calls... it unnecessarily freaks out the rest of those who havent received it... if you interviewed at 12 programs, you have well over a 95% chance of matching in EM. i wouldnt sweat it.

Big Z

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2004
Delaware
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Applied to 24, interviewed at 12, ranked 10, matched to #1 choice..
Received only one (generic) letter post interviews..
Don't sweat it, you'll match

margaritaboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2003
The Desert
Status
Attending Physician
Ditto BigZ.

Interviewed at 12. Got a single phone call. Matched #1.

Don't worry about it.

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
willlynilly said:
the problem with posts about numbers/phone calls... it unnecessarily freaks out the rest of those who havent received it...
I think the value of those posts is to see which programs DON'T make phone calls/ send out letters. It can be kind of nice to read the posts and notice that Residency Program X that you really like hasn't contacted anyone.

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hercules said:
I think the value of those posts is to see which programs DON'T make phone calls/ send out letters. It can be kind of nice to read the posts and notice that Residency Program X that you really like hasn't contacted anyone.
I wouldn't worry...

I did receive an interesting phone call from the assistant residency director at program X wanting to talk to me about another program. I found this interesting.

NinerNiner999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
When I was in the match, I got phone calls from three different program directors telling me this and that about their programs. In the end, I ranked where I wanted to go and matched at a program who never called me (and that was ranked higher than the ones that did). Match where you WANT to go and forget about every other program that did or didn't call...