No Pre-Interview Dinner - Red Flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainerMaria

Most days and
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Program I applied to doesn't have a pre interview dinner. Red flag or no? Couldn't tell if it was because of the date or the program in general. I hear these are the best ways to get a sense of a programs so was a little bummed.

Members don't see this ad.

I know my home program isn't doing one due to lack of funding. There's still an opportunity to meet and greet residents, though. I also have an interview at another program with no dinner as well, but there's a mid-morning coffee break on the schedule where residents will be available to chat. Red flag to me would be no access to residents.

I think it means there isn't an interview dinner. Try not to read too much into it.

This. Those slush funds that used to be used for free hotel rooms and fancy dinners for applicants are mostly gone. Don't get too bent out of shape about it, but do try to assess the financial stability of the Dept/Hospital on interview day. That's a completely legit question.

I never quite knew how to assess negative aspects of a program (e.g., malignancy of program, financial stability, etc.) when you're tracked on the interview day to listen to powerpoints and surrounded by people hand-picked by the PD to say nice things. Not much time to wander off and pick interns' heads?

I never quite knew how to assess negative aspects of a program (e.g., malignancy of program, financial stability, etc.) when you're tracked on the interview day to listen to powerpoints and surrounded by people hand-picked by the PD to say nice things. Not much time to wander off and pick interns' heads?

ONly way to do that short of having a pripr personal relationship with current resident is doing a rotation there. Otherwise, its easy for everyone to put a smile on their face for the 3hrs that you're there for an interview.