No research/lab experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t.s

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just stressing out again---I was wondering whether the fact that I don't have any lab experience will hurt my chances; however, I have volunteer/shadowing experience...any advice would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters that much. I don't have any either. I think they look at shadowing experience as more important. Hope that helped a little. :)

t.s said:
Hello,

Just stressing out again---I was wondering whether the fact that I don't have any lab experience will hurt my chances; however, I have volunteer/shadowing experience...any advice would be really appreciated!

yeah i don't have any either..it really shouldn't be that big of a deal..unless ur applying to a research intensive school

Members don't see this ad :)
unless u're interested in pursuing a PhD, i don't think it's necessary though.

thanks everyone for the reassurance!

my advice would be to get some and fast. even if you just moonlight in someone's lab for a few weeks..you can still put it down. research experience is a big bonus..it shows the schools you're a serious student.

t.s said:
Hello,

Sorry to sound negative, but people in admissions offices that I have spoken with say that research on your app is a BIG plus. However, it may ease your mind to know that I didn't hear anyone say that they counted it against you if you didn't have any research.

i didn't do research and i have many interviews lined up. it may keep you out of harvard, but i think it won't be a big problem at most schools.

in my D1 class, i'd say maybe 10 out of 80 students have research experience, at most. and let me add, this year we had a VERY competitive entering class....

t.s said:
Hello,