no shadowing or physician LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whirlpool159

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I most likely won't have any shadowing experience or a physician LOR. I have 300 hours of ED scribing experience and about 150 hours of clinical volunteering though. Do you think I would still have a shot at getting into an MD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Shadowing is important unless you have some other experience that serves as a strong proxy. Primary care is a better sample that the ED.
A "physician letter" is entirely superfluous for MD schools (except AZ, UT and RFU where it is accepted as a clinical letter).

Shadowing is important unless you have some other experience that serves as a strong proxy.
A "physician letter" is entirely superfluous for MD schools (except AZ, UT and RFU where it is accepted as a clinical letter).
do you think scribing would be a sufficient proxy? I witnessed a lot of doctor-patient interaction during that process.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you think scribing would be a sufficient proxy? I witnessed a lot of doctor-patient interaction during that process.
It's better than nothing, but ongoing interactions are key to understanding the doctor/patient relationship.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you asked your PCP?

Last edited:
If they let you, sure.

And Sorry for being blunt but I have to ask: How do you not know that after being on SDN for almost ten years?
I guess I should have worded that differently as I was essentially trying to ask the OP if they had asked their PCP. Mine was more than happy to let me shadow a few times.

I had 0 hours of shadowing and got in, just demonstrate that you know what you're getting into. You have clinical experience from scribing!

Reactions: 1 users
I had very negligible shadowing experience, but lots of volunteering, and still got into several MD programs this cycle. I think you'll be just fine with your ED scribing and clinical volunteering experience. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the input! I asked my PCP but he said he couldn't allow it due to HIPAA laws and his practice being private. I'm still searching for other physicians, and hoping to find one who will let me shadow them for about 25 hours.

Thank you for the input! I asked my PCP but he said he couldn't allow it due to HIPAA laws and his practice being private. I'm still searching for other physicians, and hoping to find one who will let me shadow them for about 25 hours.
Ask for 4 hours.

Reactions: 1 user