No spots for oral boards retake

Started by gomavs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gomavs

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the following email



“At this time, we are unfortunately unable to offer you a seat assignment for a 2023 Oral Certification Examination.

ABEM’s 2023 Oral Exam seats have all been assigned, and the number of candidates exceeded the number of seat assignments available. However, if physicians decline their exam seats, ABEM maintains a cancellation list from which you may be offered open seats.”

Confused. Failed in May of 2022 on first go around. I’m eligible until end of 2026. Pretty concerning. Sounds like they aren’t making enough spaces for anyone that has to take it again. I work at a BE/BC site. I emailed earlier this year to ask about rescheduling and was told I’d find out by the end of the month. Can’t imagine anyone is going to deny taking boards. Anyone have any insight?
 
It's absolutely nuts they have a date you have to be fully boarded by if they can't offer people to retake the exam in a timely fashion. They should change it to having a certain number of attempts rather than so many years if they can't offer the exam every year to people who want to take it.