No Undergrad clinical / community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skijumpbump

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So during my undergraduate years I spent most of my time studying, doing research, and being on a sports team. As a result during those years I had NO clinical or community service. Now that I am done with school and taking some time off I volunteer at my local Emergency Department once a week and do the same at a free clinic for the uninsured. Can this make up for my lack of undergrad clinical and community service? I feel like I am doing a post-bac in volunteering. I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot, but doing about 6 hours of volunteering a week on top of working full time doing cancer research is all I can take. Do you think I am getting "enough" time to off set my lack of undergraduate experiences? I am doing a volunteering post-bac. of my own creation but is it enough?
 
So during my undergraduate years I spent most of my time studying, doing research, and being on a sports team. As a result during those years I had NO clinical or community service. Now that I am done with school and taking some time off I volunteer at my local Emergency Department once a week and do the same at a free clinic for the uninsured. Can this make up for my lack of undergrad clinical and community service? I feel like I am doing a post-bac in volunteering. I am having a lot of fun and learning a lot, but doing about 6 hours of volunteering a week on top of working full time doing cancer research is all I can take. Do you think I am getting "enough" time to off set my lack of undergraduate experiences? I am doing a volunteering post-bac. of my own creation but is it enough?

Don't worry, you'll be fine. You have a decent uGPA and you just need to bring up that MCAT score. Good thing is you got a 10 on VR. Its much easier to pull those PS and BS scores to 10+. Just focus on your MCAT score, and do some volunteering and shadowing and you're golden. Good luck! 👍
 
I think they don't care _when_ so much as _that_ you have done volunteering. You'll do just fine!