No volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that Volunteering is generally favored, especially in clinical settings, because school admins want a person to show an interest in helping others(volunteering) and an understanding of the clinical aspect of medicine(through clinical experience). I am currently a technician in the ER of a chicago hospital and am also a firefighter/EMT for a northwest suburbs fire department(i mainly function as an EMT). I plan on working with some of the emergency medicine physicians on their research next summer/whenever i can but i feel that it will be hard to add volunteering to my list with two part time jobs and a full time school schedule. I begin my sophomore year in the fall and, even though it may seem tough, i am also working for financial reasons. I currently have a 3.55 ( with a 3.75 and deans list last semester). I mainly want to apply to Il schools, but am willing to apply to other schools in major cities. What are my chances with no volunteering?
Thanks in advance
-Nick
 
At the time you post wasn't up, but thank you for pointing me to it. Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have experience with this situation that ended favorably?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was in a similar situation but my jobs started out as volunteering. my bosses decided to keep me on and pay.

i got asked about volunteering during my interviews and all i could say was that i was working 3 jobs at the time so i really didnt have much free time. but 2 of the jobs (research lab and pediatric clinic) started out as volunteering...

i hope that helps.

good luck!
 
i was in a similar situation but my jobs started out as volunteering. my bosses decided to keep me on and pay.

i got asked about volunteering during my interviews and all i could say was that i was working 3 jobs at the time so i really didnt have much free time. but 2 of the jobs (research lab and pediatric clinic) started out as volunteering...

i hope that helps.

good luck!


How did the rest of your app look if you don't mind me asking?
 
heyy nick - is it that hard to squeeze in volunteering? i wouldn't know, ive never worked two jobs, but if you could even put in like 4 hours every saturday or sunday, or something - then even though it is not a big deal, at least you can talk about it. especially at interviews, no one is going to ask you how many hours, but rather how the experience was, and maybe whether it was weekly or monthly. just having it to talk about would be better than none.
 
If I were you, I would figure out a way to change your account name or create a different one (even though it's against SDN). Or you could not sign your name at the end of a post. You can use the location you mentioned in your first post with your first and last name to narrow you down. Anonymity is a big deal on SDN and just wanted you to know that yours may be compromised. I know it may sound ridiculous, but just looking out for you.
 
If I were you, I would figure out a way to change your account name or create a different one (even though it's against SDN). Or you could not sign your name at the end of a post. You can use the location you mentioned in your first post with your first and last name to narrow you down. Anonymity is a big deal on SDN and just wanted you to know that yours may be compromised. I know it may sound ridiculous, but just looking out for you.

True, but maybe he doesn't care lol
 
"Want to change your screen name? Please send a PM (required for security) to "Memberservice" and include 2-3 options for your desired new forum name."

I submitted a request today actually, but have yet to receive a response.

What the heck how did you edit your post without it saying "Edited by blah blah blah" 😏
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To clarify, you have to be a SDN donor to change your username.

Also, if you edit your post within the first few minutes of posting it, it won't have the "edited by..."

Hey, good thing I'm a donor as of late last night/early this morning 🙂.... I don't recall when actually.

On a somewhat related note, this forum has completely hijacked my life. I find myself in the middle of secondary essays clicking away at random threads and then wandering what I was even writing about in the first place. Sigh.
 
Hey, good thing I'm a donor as of late last night/early this morning 🙂.... I don't recall when actually.

On a somewhat related note, this forum has completely hijacked my life. I find myself in the middle of secondary essays clicking away at random threads and then wandering what I was even writing about in the first place. Sigh.

Yup, this forum seems to do that. Which is why I am usually doing something relatively meaningless, like watching a game, when I'm on the forum 😛