Nocturnist offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PulmCrit

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would love to hear your thoughts:

$160/hr for 12 hrs; 7 days on/7 days off
Total of 182 shifts each year
15k bonus sign on (2 year contract)
RVU bonus available

No procedures needed but if comfortable can do and bill. Manage floor admissions, closed icu.

So yearly salary is 349k? Fairly competitive, heard from staff that you can easily do more shifts if I wanted, many are breaking 400k without a few extra shifts a month.

Members don't see this ad.

160 seems low. Current fellow, I can get 180-200 moonlighting as a hospitalist - Midwest Medium sized city.

160 seems low. Current fellow, I can get 180-200 moonlighting as a hospitalist - Midwest Medium sized city.
Was it locums? Locums pay way more; I'm getting 240/hr at another shop in a large city. I'm planning on working an extra 7 shifts each month on top of my nocturnist shifts.

I agree with you tho, i think 160 was lower but the RVU bonus maybe would help? Another nocturnist position was offering 170/hr but i was covering icu; admissions, procedures and intubations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our nocturnists are getting 200/hr for 10 hour shift. No procedures and closed ICU at one of the biggest hospitals in a major metro area in TX

Was it locums? Locums pay way more; I'm getting 240/hr at another shop in a large city. I'm planning on working an extra 7 shifts each month on top of my nocturnist shifts.

I agree with you tho, i think 160 was lower but the RVU bonus maybe would help? Another nocturnist position was offering 170/hr but i was covering icu; admissions, procedures and intubations.
Not locums, or maybe it is? Just picking up the odd shift here and there at my fellowship institution. This is semi academic with residents and PAs at times, no procedures, no codes, no ICU. I guess I have it good then.

Covering ICU, procedures, and intubations sounds a lot like an intensivist position, not nocturnal hospitalist. I would expect much more than $170/hr for that.

I also have trouble believing there are many, or really any, hospitalists out there that are proficient with endotracheal intubation.

Reactions: 1 user

240/hr as a hospitalist or as an intensivist? If the former than that's crazy good. If I may ask, why not just pick up more locums shifts? $240/hr on the one hand vs 160/hr on the other seems rather unequivocal.

Reactions: 1 user
I think $160/hr is about right for desirable locations. If not desirable, It should be $180+/hr.

Sign on should be 20-25k plus another 10k for relocation.

How many admissions per night on average. If < 10, it's not a bad offer.

RVU bonus available

No procedures needed but if comfortable can do and bill. Manage floor admissions, closed icu.

So yearly salary is 349k? Fairly competitive, heard from staff that you can easily do more shifts if I wanted, many are breaking 400k without a few extra shifts a month.
Depends on RVU bonus structure, admission volumes, and amount of cross coverage. Using this information you need to estimate how much you can expect to make from RVUs, as $160/hr is otherwise a bit low for night shifts. Hopefully your RVU structure is different than the day shift, as CMS adjusted the RVU values for 2023 so that follow-ups and discharges are worth more RVUs but H&Ps are worth less than before (so daytime rounding shifts will now tend to make more RVUs while daytime and night time admitting shifts will tend to make less RVUs).

Also how much of the 12 hr shift you have assistance (eg from a night NP or PA)? You should have help for at least the busiest part of the night, as trying to do a ton of admissions AND having to cross cover floor calls by yourself can lead to burnout and can be easy to miss stuff.

RVU bonus available

the main thing that matters is average # of admits per shift whether u have a cap, whether u have to do xcover at the sametime etc etc. u did not mention of these things, not sure if they didnt tell u or u forgot/dont care.

salary is obviously important but the above things are more important, at least to me anyway. coming from someone who has done nocturnist exclusively since leaving residency.

decent deal. There maybe room for improvement with negotiation.