Nomenclature on DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Papi_Chino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we required to know the traditional names for compounds on the DAT? I know Chad mentions them in his videos but I'm not sure if we should know them or just the IUPAC (i.e. methylene chloride vs dichloromethane or chloroform vs trichloromethane)

Members don't see this ad.

You should know both names. In my DAT, I only had 1-2 questions on nomenclature in the organic chemistry section.

I only remember IUPAC names appearing on mine, but it's possible for them to use traditional as well - I'd know the few that Chad goes over, but you don't need to go crazy with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if my question was technically answered here or not. In my Ochem 2 class we don't have to know how to name benzene molecules, but is this a component on the DAT?

Not sure if my question was technically answered here or not. In my Ochem 2 class we don't have to know how to name benzene molecules, but is this a component on the DAT?

Your question? I'm pretty sure it was answered. It depends on how you interpret our answers.

You can't base the DAT on your Ochem2 class. The DAT is the standardized test which acts as a somewhat "even playing field". My Ochem2 class could be easier or harder than your Ochem 2 class depending on the material, curriculum, professor and etc. Personally, I had to name aromatic compounds in both High school and both Ochem 1 + 2 classes.

Nomenclature shouldn't be taken too seriously like @FeralisExtremum said, because there are only 1-2 questions given (aromatic compounds could be given or maybe not).

Are we required to know the traditional names for compounds on the DAT? I know Chad mentions them in his videos but I'm not sure if we should know them or just the IUPAC (i.e. methylene chloride vs dichloromethane or chloroform vs trichloromethane)
Nomenclature is a very important part of organic chemistry, and you should be familiar with it for the DAT exam. Functional groups such as aldehydes,ketones, amides, esters, carboxy acids, aromatics, E/Z alkene nomenclature , alkanes, alkyl halides etc. should be reviewed. Focus on having more than one functionality. For example, 2-oxoheptanoic acid, or something like 2-hydroxy-3-oxooctanedioic acid. Common names using methyl, ethyl, isopropyl, t-butyl, benzyl, etc should also be reviewed. The text by David Klein does a nice job to review this. Aromatics such as phenol, aniline, anisole, benzonitrile, benzaldehyde, toluene are also very important.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano