Non-academic activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxfudd

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In preparation for beginning to assemble my AMCAS application, I've been trying to isolate all of the non-academic activities I have been involved in. Unfortunately, I have not done many of the "traditional" activites that premeds do (lots of clubs and volunteering, I suppose). I am in the ACS at my school, I did two years of volunteer work at a local health clinic (nothing special, just front desk and pharmacy stuff since I used to be a licensed pharm tech). I did a bit of tutoring for a semester and I was a judge for a h.s. science fair.

The main thing (aside from academics) that I put all of my time into was music. I have been in various bands since I was 10 and have recorded 3 studio albums (I am working on a fourth) and have played well over 50 concerts, both solo and with other musicians. I have built a home studio and have even had some bands in to record (not very good money, but fun).

Now for my question: Where exactly do I fit this into my application? I've spent far too much time with music to simply list it as an "activity", yet I can't find a way to link it to a reason that it will make me a better physician such that I can incorporate it into an essay. I could bring it up in the interview, but I would like it to be part of the application itself (something that the adcoms can see without my having to bring it up). I appreciate any opinions.

[This message has been edited by rxfudd (edited 02-16-2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

What school do you go to? I'm the president of ACS at my school.

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Originally posted by rxfudd:
The main thing (aside from academics) that I put all of my time into was music. I have been in various bands since I was 10 and have recorded 3 studio albums (I am working on a fourth) and have played well over 50 concerts, both solo and with other musicians. I have built a home studio and have even had some bands in to record (not very good money, but fun).

Now for my question: Where exactly do I fit this into my application? I've spent far too much time with music to simply list it as an "activity", yet I can't find a way to link it to a reason that it will make me a better physician such that I can incorporate it into an essay. I could bring it up in the interview, but I would like it to be part of the application itself (something that the adcoms can see without my having to bring it up). I appreciate any opinions.

Are you saying that doctors are not human beings with interests other than medicine? Of course it would be great and convenient to have an activity that ties in directly with medicine, but even if it doesn't, it's still great for your candidacy. Think of it this way, the schools want a diverse student body. Everyone wants to be a doctor, but it's the collective shared experiences (esp. non-medical) that makes the class interesting.

But to answer your question directly, try thinking of how it contributed to your character and how it brought you to where you are now. Is it relaxing for you? Do you put in lots of time, dedicated to playing and practicing? Those can relate to character (like dedication, endurance). How about: I want to be a surgeon, my fingers are extremely dexterous from all my music playing (somewhat jokingly). Oh yeah, humor is always great during interviews, and life in general... :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Imtiaz, I go to UIC. From what I've read of your posts, you do too (I sent you an email a few weeks ago about a trip to Abbott - remember me?).

You might try saying something about your extracurriculars in your personal statement, but include why you think working in those areas will make you a great doctor. Then, the interviewer may ask you about it in an interview.

I agree. This kind of stuff fits into your personal statement. If music is a big part of your life, your personal statement better show that off. And, if all goes well, an interviewer will ask about it. People usual shine the brightest when they are discussing something for which they have a passion.

Hey!

Yeah I remember you. We are going to Fermilab soon, so keep on it. I didn't know you were premed. Maybe we should integrate some sort of premed activities into ACS, are there more of you? It's so hard to keep track of the large amount of ACS members at UIC!

------------------
Imtiaz
----------------------------------------------------------------
I write messages on money.
It's my own form of social protest.
A letter printed on paper that no one will destroy.
Passed indiscriminately across race, class, and gender lines, and written on the blood that keeps the beast alive.
A quiet little hijacking on the way to the checkout counter, and a federal crime.
I hope that someone will find my message one day when they really need it.
YOU ARE NOT A SLAVE.

Last edited:
Imtiaz: I think it's just the two of us in ACS that are premed. It is very possible that I am wrong, however. It would be interesting to send out an email to the members to find out how many would be interested in medical-chemical oriented activites. We should meet up sometime.

dfleis: Not only is there no time left for me to join organizations, I'm not sure that I really want to. The only organization on my campus that really interests me is ACS - I hate the idea of joining a club just to have something on my app. However, considering the number of people who do so, there is an huge unspoken pressure to be involved in political science club and save-the-trees club and sports teams and the like. There has to be a way to do what you want to do and not get raised eyebrows from the adcoms for not being involved in traditional premed activities. In fact, aren't they supposed to be looking for people who are NOT like the rest of the bunch? They want to see leadership and individuality, but what ends up happening is that premed freshman and sophmores flock to every activity they can like lemmings to the sea. This clearly is not the way it should be and it is not the route I took. But you are correct, for a boring person who has no well-defined interests, it is a good thing.

Back to music: I think I'm going to base my essay on my experiences and link it to medicine via the determination, patience, and planning that is involved in organizing something like learning a series of instruments and the recording of an album, in addition to the multitude of fascinating and talented people I have met along the way. This is going to be tricky...

[This message has been edited by rxfudd (edited 02-16-2001).]