non accredited fellowship training length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epic786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone guide about the non accredited fellowship training length? Can you do one year vs two year fellowship? Can you get credit for your fellowship?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but It depends on the program. You will have to ask them in the beginning. I know people who have done 1 or 2 or 3 years or fellowship from the same program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know people who have done 1 or 2 or 3 years or fellowship from the same program.

If 2 or 3 years long, then there is a research component in most cases. Ask about funding.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you also leave it early like in a year and still get credit? I mean it’s unaccredited !

Can you also leave it early like in a year and still get credit? I mean it’s unaccredited !

That would be highly unusual. I don't think you can get a certificate of completion if you leave it early. Your mentor might be able to write a letter that states that you trained for this long etc.
The thing is if you are planning to go non-academic in a small/moderate sized setting, you don't have to have a fellowship training as long as you are competent in doing the job. You can still practice a subspecialty. Esp non procedural stuff. It probably won't fly in big academic centers.
May be you can still be in an smallish academic center and practice Headache, MS, Dementia etc; but very less likely. People did movement before without specialization, but I don't think it can be done now with DBS being so advanced and Botox. Headache and MS have also become way complicated to require specialized training.

Thank you for your reply!