Non-APA Accredited Clinical Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
10 out of 10 times I toss non-APA apps bc there are plenty of “better on paper” options. It is truly an uphill battle the entire way for ppl with non-APA training. Most of the time i’m looking at training sites and post-doc training (even for 100% therapy positions) bc there are enough apps to get ppl who complete decent to good post-docs.

Obviously for neuro/rehab the minimum requirement is a formal post-doc, but that’s a bit off the path from the thread.
T4C, does this include Wisconsin RP grads? I'll be very interested to see how the department adjusts to being counselor ed and not psych...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with the program. It's Counselor Ed...?
Wisconsin has a long standing Rehabilitation Psychology PhD program that's produced a lot of fairly prominent rehab psych folks. They've never been APA accredited because APA refused to accredit a rehab psych PhD program. They actually specifically inquired if the Baltimore conference on rehab psych boarding would make an exception for their grads not being from an APA-accredited program, and the answer was essentially "No. Become a program that APA will accredit or leave." Thus, they decided to become--and are in the process of becoming--a counselor ed PhD program under CACREP instead. Given how strongly the program and its graduates identify as psychologists, it'll be interesting to watch how that plays out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the new APPIC restriction of internships to students from APA-accredited programs went into effect this past cycle, at least for Phase 1, but I could be wrong about that.

It is what I have heard as well.

Thank you for the feedback
T

Lolo8, I actually was in a pretty similar situation a year ago, maybe almost a couple of years, by now. I ended up seeing that Capella was not likely to work out for me, because of the lack of APA-accred. Now, I'm very glad I went with a different avenue, because people from non-APA-accred are not even being considered in the APPIC match system any further. Students from those programs will NOT be getting an APA-approved internship, whereas previously, it was always a possibility.

Lolo8, I would offer that there are special concerns in rural areas like CO (unless you live in Denver, but the rest of the state is quite sparsely populated). I'm just not sure what a PsyD will offer you, when the internship component of it is likely going to be quite a headache, and possibly pretty undoable.

Because of the similarity of situations, I would not mind if you were to DM me about the results of my research.

Luck to you~

Hello,
I'm a PsyD student at a non-apa accredited school in California (CIIS). Due to various reasons I won't be able to complete internship in California through BAPIC. I'll be moving to Massachusetts, I was wondering if anyone can guide about finding non-apa required internships. I have contact APPIC and one person told me I'm not qualified due to my university not being APA accredited and someone else told me that I can register and wait for APPIC clearing house. Any suggestions? thanks

Hello,
I'm a PsyD student at a non-apa accredited school in California (CIIS). Due to various reasons I won't be able to complete internship in California through BAPIC. I'll be moving to Massachusetts, I was wondering if anyone can guide about finding non-apa required internships. I have contact APPIC and one person told me I'm not qualified due to my university not being APA accredited and someone else told me that I can register and wait for APPIC clearing house. Any suggestions? thanks
You are not allowed to use APPIC for match (my understanding is that post-match vacancy/clearing house is different although I am not sure). I would recommend you examine requirements in Mass to enable license with your training background and act according to what you are advised.

APPIC > Match > FAQs > Applicants > Eligibility and Participation
n 2013, the APA Council of Representatives passed the "Resolution for Programs that Prepare Psychologists to Provide Health Services" (see the FAQs on the resolution here), which stated that doctoral programs that train health service psychologists should be accredited within five years of the resolution. In conjunction with this resolution, APPIC established a policy on Doctoral Program Associates, which states that, effective with the 2018 APPIC Match (i.e., the 2017-18 application cycle) for internship positions beginning in 2018 or after, doctoral programs must meet one of the following criteria:

1. The doctoral program is accredited by an eligible accrediting organization (as defined here). Regional or state accreditation or designation by any other entity is insufficient to meet this criterion; or
  2. The doctoral program is not accredited but has been granted an initial accreditation site visit. Students enrolled in such programs may only participate in the next two Match / PMVS cycles immediately following the date that the program is notified of the site visit, and are only eligible for placement at APPIC-member internship programs during this period, unless and until the program achieves accreditation; or
  3. Is a re-specialization program in which the underlying doctoral program is accredited by an eligible accrediting organization or in the process of gaining such accreditation, as outlined in the preceding two paragraph.